Topic: Sorry about that

Sorry about the spam, guys. It's been some seriously busy times for me just lately. I've removed it all. If we have more problems like that I'll have to promote some forum moderators to handle spam-removal.

Again, my apologies.

Re: Sorry about that

Adrian,  I do not know the working of spam but we have been hit alot and you have doing a great job keeping them at bay.  I wish we as a group could help you out on this.  You need not apology.  I for one Thank You for your effort in keeping this website together.  ~jklee

Adrian

I too would like to repeat what Johnhas just said... I too Thank you for all your work.

jose

Adrian....joining the chorus in praise of you and what you do for us...THANKS!!!!

Well thanks guys!

I am still trying to keep the spam levels down. I don't want to have to create any restrictive systems to control the unwanted posts though. I'll keep looking at it, and if I find the right solution, I'll implement it.

Thanks for your patience.

Okay, currently new member registrations are slightly more complicated than they used to be, but I hope it'll stop the bots from posting spam. Probably not a 100% solution, but hopefully better.

Again, I'm sorry about all the spam we've been getting.

7 (edited by John Lee 2007-05-12 16:19:35)

I have noticed on other websites that they are having the same problem we our as lately.  So we are not alone.  I get the feeling these people are the same as those that have their cellphone go off in the middle of a movie.  jklee

It's definitely a major net-wide problem.

don't they have better things to do with their time, like mess around on sailboats or dreaming about messing around on sailboats?

No, they don't. It's been a problem for about 10 years. We find a way to stop them, they find a way around the roadblock. Sort of like the war on drugs, really. And what kills me is that I don't know what's in it for them. One imagines it must be money, but I can't figure out how they make any doing stuff like this...

I remember from some news on this issue and the spam people are only looking for 1 hit out 100 or so that will read their stuff.  They have not a clue about the real world or boats of any kind.  To them it is just a game to flood the system for the one hit.  It is just a sad event to all of us.

Thanks for your work keeping this site up. It's been invaluable to me.