Topic: water in engine

I had water in my 7HP Farymann just before the end of last season. Took head and cylinder to
a machine shop for magnaflux to see if there was a crack in them. Both turned out to be OK. Last week I put the engine together and it runs again but the oil doesn't look healthy. I expect water coming in via the waterpump. Discussed it with PRP in New Jersey and they told me there is a upgrade kit that puts the new waterpump outside the engine. Cost almost $600.00. Is there anybody who had the same experience and if so did you go for the kit. What is involved with this kit. Is there a belt or is it mounted on the shaft that runs the original waterpump. PRP did not have one in stock, they have to order from Germany. I saw at the Entecwest webside a double waterpump assembly. That turns the engine from raw water cooled to a closed loop system with a heat exchanger. Does somebody has experience with that system? Part prices for these little engines are outrageous. Any feedback is much appreciated.

Re: water in engine

Hi, yes, tell me about the prices....I too had water in cylinders, and my piston was too pitted to re-use: BUT I had to buy new head and cylinder and piston...as the sizes and cooling had changed!!!    If your Farymann still has the brass sleeve with the rings around the outer part cylinder...that is likely what's happening...and the wall of the cylinder itself is  supposed to hold these ring seals...but gets worn out after years and then cannot keep the sea water out of cylinder head area...you are then doomed...I paid $5,000 to have mine rebuilt: and $2,500 was for crucial engine parts alone. (Labour included taking the engine right out of the boat, as well as re-builiding the starter, which decided to go after they put the engine back in.)
I would go with the new waterpump kit if it does indeed include a type of heat exchanger....as fresh water is what you want.  However, first you have to see if you have room for that system (it's pretty tight in there, and secondly, make sure it's not your cylinder sleeve rings first!!!  Be cause if it is, you are best to get that rectified...and like I said, if you need a new cylinder, you'll need a new head and piston: as they are ALL different from the existing.  What would I do now....I would have pulled the whole thing out and used an outboard before I could save to get a Yanmar - and even then, I may have scrapped the whole idea of even having an engine.....but when you are going bit by bit...you think it'll be cheaper...heavens...then you get a bill for $5,000, I almost learned what a heart attack felt like! 
At least Entecwest will always have the parts, as they do use "our" little one-lunger for their generators...and they did fix the cooling system, I painfully discovered, as it is a faulty design...
Good luck..I have a great deal of pics I took of my engine as it was being pulled apart etc....so let me know if I can help you any more!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Re: water in engine

Found