Topic: paint

I used Interlux Perfection, Mauritius blue.  I sprayed 2 coats of 404 epoxy primer, sanded the first with 180 and the second with 220.  As for the painting, what you see is 1 tack coat + medium wet coat allowed to tack (1/2 hr) and then a full wet coat overtop.  The whole painting part only took about 2.5 hours.  I guess you could call it 1.5 coats of paint.  I had an air dryer hooked up, just a princes auto job with dessicant pellets in it.  The paint flowed in for about 4 hours and then was good and hard in 3-4 days.  It really glossed over in the first 12 hours of drying - was way shinier the next morning.  I scrweed up a bit with the reducer - I used a 50/50 mix of 2316 and 2333, and I think this allowed the paint to flow out a bit too much, it started running in 1 spot about 15 minutes after I layed the coat on.  Not too worried tho, I'll either buff it out and blow in some more paint, or just leave it cause you'll never see it from the water

Re: paint

Thanks for sharing the process with us, Stefan.  It's always very intimidating to even ponder giving any boat a paint job so this gives us all a much appreciated glimpse of what to do and expect.  Will you be ready to sail by next spring?  I'm itching to have a closer look at your Contessa and perhaps we could have a CO26 Rendezvous in and around the Thousand Islands next season.

Good luck with the rest of the process.

José

A lot of work where experience can pay very big dividends. I am planning on painting my 1986 dark green co next year. The topsides show some "print thru" which I trust will be covered by the primer and paint. I feel Awlgrip is out of the question be cause of the cost, the need to move the boat to a painting booth, and the difficulty of repairing scratches, gouges etc. Besides, I like to doing everything even if I have no idea what I'm doing... Sprayed Awlgrip looks great at the boat shows when you can see your face in the shine, but my boat hangs on a mooring covered with dry salt water. I only see the topsides for a few minutes from the launch. My plan is to roll and tip either Perfection or some other two part paint. I am in the very early stages of fact finding in this project and I'm posting for your experience and advice.
The decks: I am in the process of removing all the deck hardware with the plan on sealing w/ epoxy and rebedding before installation. Why not paint the decks if I am going to all this trouble. The decks are twenty-one year old sun burned off white gelcoat. Roll and tip the decks??  What kind of paint?? Any thoughts??

the only problem with painting is that if you knock off a decent job, you'll see every little imperfection.  i had 2 coats of primer, and it felt babys butt smooth and looked really good, but after painting the print thru still shows up.  you can even see where the old decals were on the bow (name).  you can see the hard spots in the hull where the chainplates are, and you can see every dimple 2" below the hull deck joint where the hull is riveted to the deck.  that goes part in parcel with a dark glossy finish....  as for the decks, i sprayed 2 coats of primer over the whole thing, and then sprayed perfection off white, mixed 50 50 with flattering agent for all of the "smooth" parts.  i'm now rolling on light grey with the intergrip grit mixed in for all the non skid.  it's working quite well, pretty uniform distribution of  sand but you can see the odd roller mark....    i'll tell you in 2 years if it was tough enough.......   

perfection is a pretty easy paint to work with.  you'll hear people call it imperfection, but i personally think that most of the work is in the prep.  i'm not the smarted cat out there, but I can read the directions and follow them and it turned out ok...  you can screw up a job with sterling paint if you halfass the prep......  i've never painted anything bigger than a snowblower in my life, and i got a relatively decent spray job down.  it's better than any other homemade paint job i've seen, and i don't have $8 000 into it.  theres 3 or 4 decetn sags, and I dont think i'm going to touch them at all.   

if you get checking on the internet, theres all kinds of different paint you can use - awlgrip, awlcraft, imron, jet-glo, perfection, etc etce etc.  the main thing being that they're 2 part polyurethanes.  theres 2 kinds, acrylic and polyester based but i'll leave that fact finding mission up to you.

well the pics are up, you can't see the dry spots but I know where they are....  all I can say is that if you ever have the gumption to paint a sailboat, then do it.  and if the critix show up (they will), tell them kindly that after 2 or 3 years of missed approaches that they are more than welcome to show up and repaint your boat.  cheers all.  she's getting closer and closer to a spring launch.. finally........

6 (edited by tubatooter1940 2008-03-23 20:42:06)

I believe the topsides on my 1980 Contessa look o.k. for now. I plan to delay painting them for as long as possible. A scrubdown with "Hull Brite" and two coats of wax will have her looking her best and the wax seems to retard that yellow scum line (from heavy metals in the water) forming above her boot stripe.
I thought hull blisters were a result of warm water around here but now I hear that electrolysis can cause them as well.
I fixed 400 hull blisters eight years ago and 200 more four years later. I need to haul out and paint on two coats of "Trinidad" as well a change the zincs aft of the propeller and the ones inside the diesel.
Swam under the old girl today. Blisters not too bad this time.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

7 (edited by rbporter 2008-03-28 03:41:01)

I don't even dare to think about painting my boat.. It has taken me three years to get it under a cover I can finally work under.  I would need to live another fifty to seventy years to do what I would like to do before my launch. Having said that I've decided to have the boat professionally rehabed. and launched for the first time it has been in my ownership, in the spring of 2009.
The paint: AWLGRIP seems to be the standard approach. What about AWLCRAFT? Apparently it is softer and can be more easily repaired then AWLGRIP. If I spend XXX thousands on a paint job I want to be able to repair the scratches, dings, etc.
The decks: the rehab. guy's usual approach is to sand the non-skid smooth and paint with non-skid Interdeck. I am not convinced this is the way I want to go. My non-skid is in nice shape and would like to preserve it. I'm told the sprayed AWLGRIP "pools up on the non-skid". Can non-skid textured gelcoat be successfully painted? Spray painted?
What about one  of the glue on plastic-like overlays where the non-skid was?
All kinds of things are on my "to do list". rewire, plumb, bright work, possibly replace the low hour Buhk with a Beta, and anything  I feel I may either need to, or  would like to, replace or repair  within the next ten years or so.
I just want to sail . . my co26.
As I read this back this sounds like the midlife crisis sort of thing I have heard about.

paint is a last resort - if i could have buffed up my boat i would havae, but it was pretty much white where it used to be dark blue, not to mention that i cut a huge hole in the side of it.

painting a boat the size of a contessa 26 is definately not out of the skill range of most..... boat owners, the time and effort is in the prep work. 

all this being said, you will end up dinging, gouging, scratching your new beauty, not necessarily on your own - theres a few boat owners out there that you don't want even catching your lines when youre coming in...... 

as for the decks, i sanded off all the non skid and am painting with grey perfection and intergrit pellets.  i went this route cause i drilled about 75 holes to inject the decks w/ epoxy, and this was by far the easiest way to cover all of my sins.   seems to g on o OK