Topic: Hatch aft of mast - good idea?

I have seen pictures of a few CO26s with a hatch behind the mast.  I've heard of people having bubble hatches too.  This seems like a good idea (I could stand up straight to cook!) but I'd like some advice from people who have or have seen them.  Do they make sense?  Do they affect the strength of the coach house, particularly the support for the mast?  Is a bubble better than a square that opens?

Re: Hatch aft of mast - good idea?

I love the hatch.It lets in a huge amount of light,and carries steam out of the galley.After the top board it is the most oft opened.If you sleep in the quarter berth,you get to see the stars.Two thumbs up for the center hatch.

Has anyone fitted a bubble?  This would seem to be a very practical compromise that could mean inside steering in terrible weather.

A friend has a bubble, but at about 16 inch dia, there is not much room for your head. Especially if the boat is bouncing around. You can look out in the rain, but no fresh air ventilation.

Does anyone have a line on a supplier of bubble hatches? I've done any number of internet searches, to no avail. I would want to fit one for the added security of being able to do a 360 degree scan from inside the boat at regular intervals. Seems to beat having to climb out in the wind and rain, especially when the cabin is oh so warm and dry....

Cheers,

Pete

Murphy was an optimist........

6 (edited by Golliwobbler 2007-12-07 13:17:34)

HA!!  The shot of the dog peering out is pure comedy.  If only we would look so good peering out of our proposed bubbles.  I might only guarantee that there'd be slightly less drool on the inside of my dome.

On viewing, I assume that if I am inside needing the dome to peer out, then the wind is fiarly strong and the boat is well heeled over, so viewing the weather side is going to be spotty at best.  My main thought was less viewing the weather side and forward, as viewing the lee and aft - lee for whatever we might be coming down on, and aft to manage the approach of waves, esp. when running before the wind.

Maybe the pet peek should be mounted on the sides of the boat!   But seriously...while I like the idea of steering inside, practically speaking ther reason I want a hatch is I want to be able to stand up while I cook and I want to get more light down below.   I did not consider the width needed to get a foot of height.  Perhaps a standard hatch supported on four sides with clear lexan walls would suffice.  Might be slightly ugly though.

Hey all, loaded into the Gallery - two pictures of "Ragus" with a dome hatch (looks like an acrylic security camera cover) along the lines some of us have been thinking