Topic: Used Boat Prices

Just checked the general brokerage listings last night on used 26's and I'm amazed at the jump in prices from just a few months ago when we were looking for a Jester Challenge boat. In fact I think one or two boats we initially looked at are still listed but the prices are double what I saw back in June. Is this a result of the recent articles about 26's in some of the yachting magazines or the round Island race results? Maybe the public is finally starting to wake up about these wonderful little boats after all of these years.

Re: Used Boat Prices

what does this (realistically) make my contessa worth??

I think you'll find fuel prices have a lot to do with the stunning increase in the 26' range.

Fuel prices - and the cost of fiberglas, resin, and all that other petroleum-based stuff.  I'm sure this must have contributed to the demise of PDQ Yachts as much as the increased value of the dollar.

My price question - being obviously new to this game (first post!) - is perhaps more general:  how inflated are most "asking prices"?  E.g., when I see a Contessa advertised for , say, $10,000 or $15,000, what should I really expect this will work out to once the deal is done?

My related question:  since it's pretty much unlikely that I'd be able to afford a newer boat, am I really missing out on anything by getting a pre-1983.  I'm only 5'9" (and guests should just consider themseleves lucky enough to be aboard!) so the headroom thing isn't much of an issue.  A hatch is easy enough to install, and an anchor well should be within the realm of possibilities, right?   It seems the premium for these is quite expensive.

IMHO - it depends.  Some '70s era Contessas are very old but have been maintained and upgraded meticulously, and should/do command a higher price, up to and over $20,000, or more in some cases.  Other Contessas have been neglected and therefore need a great deal of TLC.  At the lower end, it seems that the floor, where you are buying basically a sound infrastructure (hull and deck), was in the sub $10,000 range, down through $8,000 if you are very lucky.  For these, you expect to invest time, hard labor and money in bringing her in line with your own wants/expectations.  Sales below that, there is likely something very seriously wrong with the vessel where future investment is redirected at the basics rather than upgrading the componentry (standing/running rigging, mechanical, electrical and cabin/deck hardware).  Deck and hull issues are things I stay away from...

On being 5'9" and getting pre-83, my own opinion is that it should not be a primary concern.  Find the boat that matches your wants and pocketbook (including costs of owning...), doesn't have needs beyond your ability to DIY or pay some one to do, and go.