Topic: Standing water on decks

I have been wanting to put some in my boat. would love to hear any details about how and where you are puting them. I have been a little concerned about making a hole in the rial in the cabin area. on my 71 contessa it looks like the low spot is under the track on the toe rail for the jib.

Re: Standing water on decks

Looking at some newer JJT boats, the scupper is just a cut out in the hull/deck joint.  There some alumiuium caps (U shaped) that cover up the putty/glass work on the outside, and they generally look sloppily done - overly thick gelcoat which crazes like mad (what else is new...).  As long as care is taken to glass over well and seal up the hole, the small size of the cutout won't weaken the hull deck joint significantly - unless you've got an earlier JJT boat that doesn't have real compression posts..... 

I'm just going to determine the best location, cut and glass away. Maybe if I have time, I'll machine some caps to keep the rubrail line flowing, but then again maybe not.  I've got a nice building over the boat for the winter (it's in the driveway) and up to 55000 btu's/hr of propane warmth at my disposal, so hopefully she'll see the water sometime in the spring or early summer.  That is if I don't find any new jobs to add to the list.......

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Can send you a scupper picture if you like from my RHIANNON.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Forgot to say: I find the water does stand on the side decks, even with two scuppers.  It seems that more weight is needed aft...however, under sail there is no issue of standing water, ever, ha ha!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Ideally, in a "static" (ie not sailing) state, you'd like to get the most water off the decks as you possibly can.  Water moves around a pile when you're sailing, and if you're beating you're tacking and no one spot stays wet for very long (save for where the hole is in your foulies).  Real damage occurs all week when you should be out sailing but have to go to work.  Water sits.  And sits.  And gets into places it shouldn't.  Skip a few weekends for people who get married during sailing season (I'll never ruin a good sailing weekend for anyone...)   Throw in some previous owner's lackadaisical maintenance of any thru deck fittings or holes.  Add this up over the years and what do you get?  Rotten plywood decks.  Trust me - it's not the funnest nor the easiest job to replace them.  All I want to be thinking about all week that the majority of the water that wouldn't make it out the deck drains isn't standing and undoing all of the work I've done all summer - that is when I'm unfortunate enough to be at work instead of just tacking and drying the other side off.....

Oh, I didn't say I liked the way they work. I worry about the standing water too. Any solution? additional scuppers don't look like they'd help much, but I might be wrong. I'll have to get down to the boat and ponder the problem for a while.

I put all my books and tools aft, that helped, and even my 110 lbs. rocking from side to side at the dock gets the water off...and she does have a minute list to port, so water collects there...doesn't make sense, except that the rudders never hang square so likely cause a 1/2 degree list, that's all you need to have water stand....I put all heavy stuff where she needs it, and also have a bimini cover and/or boom tent if she is at anchor/mooring/dock..but she is on the hard and the delivery guy puts her with bow up just a bit, that's ok, but guess where the bit o' rainwater pooled...the aft deck!!!  But she's all under cover now, and just the SNOW that creeped under the tarp was on the side deck...it's  like the decks are an evil magnet for wetness, I swear!

Just wondering if anyone out there that has a boat with scuppers cut into the toerail likes where they are.  My boat doesn't have them - it just has the crappy deck drains.  I'll leave the deck drains there to collect rainwater if I ever head somewhere warm, but I'm also going to cut some scuppers out.  I've got the measurments of a newer boat, but was just wondering if anyone is unhappy with where the scuppers are in relation to the lowest point on the deck. 

PS  Does anyone out there have drawings for the bow pulpit and stern rail for a Contessa?  I have to make new ones - don't like the loop de loop up front and the stern rail was an aftermarket abortion...  Just looking to save some time for me.......