Topic: Battery Chargers

Have a question...

Has anyone hooked up a battery charger system... and if so... is there anything from back feeding the charger when the engine is charging the batteries... and would this be recommended???

Any advice would be appreciated...

Thanks
Jose

Re: Battery Chargers

Any commercially available battery charger will have (should have) a built in diode to allow current flow in only one direction so back charging won't be a problem. If you have more than one battery you may want an isolator to prevent draining of the engine starting battery. This will allow both batteries to charge but only one will be used for running onboard electronics. You can build one yourself but commercially available ones are cheap enough.

Cheers
                                         John

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

Thanks John

Have another question... "dose anyone know if the DC system we have on these little boats is a grounded or ungrounded system?"... it seems that the shrouds and stuff is bonded to the plate on the keel... however the DC negative is isolated from the rest of the boat... any thought or comments... thanks
Jose

4 (edited by Gadget 2006-05-07 08:53:17)

The DC system should be an isolated system on a boat, any stray voltages will rapidly increase corrosion of metalic parts. What you're describing is the grounding of the rigging & mast in case of a lightning strike. I should also add that its a good idea to isolate the shore power ground either with a ground isolator or better yet, an isolation transformer of suitable size for your system (voltage and wattage). Make sure you don't remove the ground (bad things can happen) but just isolateit. This might sound complicated or unnecessary but what you're trying to do is eliminate any electrical paths between your boat and any neighbours or piers. Marinas with supplied shore power are usually full of small underwater electrical currents, most of which can be rendered ineffective through proper grounding and the use of zinc anodes on exposed metalic surfaces.

Cheers
                                                     John

Just for information, the picture below is 'the old man in the sea' and not a self portrait as has been suggested by someone I know.

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

My 1975 model doesn't seem to have any lightning protection, and from what I've been reading, in fresh water you need a copper ground plate 1" x 12' outside, just below the waterline, since we can't just tie onto a keelbolt.  All the shrouds, stays and mast need to be linked to this with 4AWG copper wire.  Has anyone done this, and are there any tricks on where to run the ground wires?  What kind of groundplates are suitable?  How are they attached to the hull?

Tim

I have a 1.5 ft x 2 ft copper plate glued to the outside of the hull at the top of the keel and a 1" dia copper bolt goes through it and the hull. Inside the hull, copper wires (1/4"dia) run from the bolt/nut to each chain plate. If the boat stayed in Ontario, I would not bother. My research indicates that it increases your chance of getting hit but reduces the chance of the strike blowing a hole (or many) through the hull. I have heard of very few boats hit around here. The insurance company does not even ask about it. If this was Florida then that may be another matter.

I understand that we just don't get the violent thunderstorms in the upper Great Lakes, yet we seem to do alot for the "what if" scenarios.  I am at a mooring during the week, not sitting at a dock with numerous boats with taller masts, and ussually all alone in an anchorage on weekends, so I have a reason to be a little paranoid. Little holes in my hull frightens me, to be honest!  How did you glue the plate to your keel (preparations and type of glue)?  I have even heard of keeping a set of booster cables on board, to attach one end to the shrouds or back stay and the other end gets tossed overboard to complete the ground.  Does this make any sense?

Tim

The copper plate was ruffed up with very course sand paper. I used WEST epoxy after grinding the hull down to bare gel coat or glass (forgot which). The copper bolt in the center and many pieces of wood jammed between the plate and the ground held it until until hard. After about 4 years and 11,000 nm one of the corners started to peel so a little more glue and all is ok again. Maybe an adhesive that does not harden would stand up to winter temp changes better. I have seen the temporary cables used. Cheap, easy, deploy as needed.

The previous owner of my Contessa used jumper cables clipped to the shrouds and dangled over the sides.  Thudersorms are rare here.  In Ontario we would often see more in a week than we'd see in years here.  In 5 seasons of sailing here I have not once sailed in a thunderstorm except way off shore in the gulf of maine so a temporary solution (ie something deployed for a couple of hours) is fine with me...if it makes sense!

Does dangling jumper cables make sense?

10 (edited by tubatooter1940 2008-02-01 07:16:08)

I had an electrician at the boatyard install a ten amp, two - bank battery charger I ordered from West Marine. He suggested adding an on/off switch just for the battery charger so I could run the diesel when plugged in to shore power. So far no problem.
I used to tie a line from my forestay to trail in the water during lightning storms. My wife was greatly comforted by this until some wag told her that a huge bolt of lightning would fry her anyway - line or no line. I'm gonna get that boy! mad

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!