Topic: auto bilge pump installation

I have my manual one with a string tied to a corner of it and then tied to an engine mount.  That way, I can raise and lower it easily.

When I installed it, I attached it to too long length of new,  high end hose, then wound it through to where it was attaching to the diaphram, then cut the hose.  That way, I wouldn't err and make it too short!  I made sure the pump was flat down into the bilge.  The old one had been sideways! as the hose was a little too short!  Our bilges are deeper than we think...I think I used 6' of hose.

I don't have an automatic one, as I don't trust it with the batteries, or the batteries with it! ;-)

Good luck!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Re: auto bilge pump installation

I have a rule 1100 with a float switch mounted to a flattened lead pipe. The hose exits thru the transom with a check valve same height as the exhaust on starboard side. I can retrieve it with the hose as it normally sits under the engine.

Great!  So far I have an 800 screwed down on a 2x4 with the float switch hanging over the edge...however the check valve is only 1-2 inches up the tube from the pump..will this be ok do you think?

oh, and I screwed a metal yardstick to the edge of the 2x4 and will mount on a bolt under the engine, for retrieval.

----------
If the memories are better than the dreams then it's all over.....
[url=http://www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk]www.contessa26moonshine.me.uk[/url]

Kristin;
Just make sure you have a loop so the water can't come back in when you are helled, I mean heeled! over...the loop is in between thru-hull and pump.  I'm not sure about the float switch setup, as I only have manual...but just check it by pouring some clean soapy water down the bilge!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Does anyone have a design to drop and retrieve and automatic bilge pump, or installation advice?

Though this is an old thread, though it does has some info for me. I am in the market to buy a blige pump. The guy at the marina told me to get the floating switch. I hate to make a mess of this, but I am looking at "Rule 8000" 800gph with a Rule-A-Matic Switch. Is this a good combination? Has anyone got any other ideas? Is there anything else I need? Thanks a head of time for any help given. jklee