Topic: 180 genoa

I am having an older 180 hank-on genoa adapted to fit on my brand new yet to be installed furler.  I'm having second thoughts, as I think 180 might be way too big.  I'm a new sailor and I don't want to get over-powered out there.  I was thinking that with the furler I could just roll it up a bit to reef, but apparently this isn't so with the way this sail is being re-cut.  So, if I understand it correctly, it will either be 180 or nothing.  Any advice?  What size foresail do people use the most?  Susan

Re: 180 genoa

From all the roller furlers I have worked with, I have furled them all the way out and points in between depending on the wind conditions. A 180 is a lot of sail but on those days with little wind, it is nice to have. I have a 130 and 110 hank-on sails (latter I am having resown, as it is the original sail to the boat) and have used the 110 alone in 15-20 knot winds and felt safe. I just got the 130 last summer and it worked well but I was not in any wind over 12 knots. Unsure why your sail is not a true furler type. jklee

I have a 180 as well though I haven't used it for three seasons.   The clew is so long that I had to sheet it through blocks that attach to the stern pulpit's stanchions.  It's kinda ridiculous actually.   It may be worth checking to see how you're going to sheet with the sail fully extended.

I'm not concinved that in really light air that the sail doesn't introduce more drag that its size makes up for.  In other words, I don't see any great advantage over a 140.  Thoughts anyone?

I have limited use with the 130 so I have yet to be full confidant in my use in it but it was good with 5-10 knot winds, below 5 knots, it did not matter how much sail I had up. From the very begining I like the 110 but that was because I could easily work with it. I guess part of the problem is that 130 is still new and stiff, making handling a challenge for me on putting up and getting it down. Hopefully with use it will become easier to use. jklee

I, frankly, wouldn't use anything more than a 120 for your roller furling.

The problem with big Is the sail has to be fairly heavy to deal with stronger winds,so it dosen't fill in light winds and the shape is pour in strong winds.110 to 130 seems like the compromise for a furler.

Hmmm.  Lots of good food for thought.  As my boat is sitting at the dock waiting for engine parts I won't be getting the mast up and furler installed for a week or two so lots of time to discuss this with the sail loft guy.  The 180 is in the best condition, but I have several hank-on sails to choose from to convert so we'll see what we can figure out.  Thanks for the advice.
Suzeh.

Hey Suze!

I'm sure that the sail loft guy can re-size, re-shape and re-stitch the 180 to a fine 120-130 with enough left over  for a storm jib.  By the way, what's up with the engine?

José

I was thinking about this on the way back from my boat today, as I almost got it into the water, tomorrow forsure. Anyway, when I first sailed on Lake Erie in mid to late September, 2006, I just sailed with a 110. It was never over powered with the 15-20+ knot winds I had. With that size, you to can sail with the main fully out or reefed. The smaller the genoa, the more you can use your main sail. Just food for thought. jklee

I have a 140 that I've used like 3 times - it overpowers the boat in anything over 7 or 8 knots. The 110 is good up until about 16 or 17, and then it starts to overpower, too. As John says, you can reef the main and certainly use a full 110 up to over 20 knots, but I feel the boat's balance just disappears with a full 110 and a single reef in the main.
You can't restitch a 180 and make a 120 or smaller, they're made from lighter cloth than smaller sails and would self destruct. I'd suggest getting a 120 for your roller furler, and if you actually ever had light enough winds for a 180, use a cruising spinnaker or gennaker - or motor!

Hi All.  Yes Jose, that was my original intent...to have the 180 recut and made smaller and then adapted to fit the furler by adding luff tape and sun protection.  If I want it to maintain a decent shape when reefed, apparently I'd have to add something else.  I didn't realize that it was made with heavier material. I'm relying heavily on the advice of my sail loft guy, as, well, he's the expert and I'm very new at all this.  In our last discussion he proposed keeping it cheap by just adding the luft tape to the 180 and furling it all the way in and using mainsail only when the wind was too strong.  My gut was not liking that idea at all! so I thought it was time for a little survey with you all.  My sail-guy is away sailing right now.  When he gets back, I'll be in better shape to discuss this with him. 

Jose, Re: the engine. There are a few things wrong, mostly regarding the fact that the boat has been sitting idle for awhile.  Things like soft fuel lines etc.  there was diesel everywhere, and few other seized up things - but so far nothing too serious.  They're waiting for parts.  Hopefully everything will arrive by this week.  They are also going to hook up the head for me as it was set for overboard discharge -- which of course is a no-no in the Great Lakes.  It looks like an easy job and I know I could do it myself, but yuck, I just don't want to.  When that is done, the sail-guy is going to help me get the mast up, install the furler and rig the boat.  I've got an instructor lined up to give me a few lessons on the boat, just to get me used to everything and feeling comfortable.  Then I'm broke, but hopefully sailing!  If you, or any of you other "local" folks are in the area, drop an email and visit!  Sue.

12 (edited by John Lee 2008-08-03 07:27:25)