Topic: Proud new owner of a Contessa

I am new to the group and very impressed with this website. The support and helpful tips are a great resource.

I bought my 1986 Contessa 26 last November after sailing in a friend's Contessa last summer. My previous experience has been in smaller boats (a Siren with 4 hp Merc) so you can imagine the amount of new stuff I have to learn. I will retire this June, so I plan to have loads of time to devote to this boat!
Any advise would be greatly appreciated! I will be sailing her out of Port Credit, and for a start, I will mostly be a day sailer, until I get my comfort level up.
Anybody in the area that would like to drop by, give tips and go for a sail, feel free to contact me.

A few initial questions:
1.  Batteries. For my type of use (day sailing) do I really need two batteries? I have to replace them and I was considering just using one 'dual purpose'. All I really need it to do is start the motor and run the VHF radio (maybe running lights at dusk)?

2. Also on batteries, I would rather not have to worry much about the battery so should I consider buying a GEL type? (more expensive, but less fuss?).

That's it for now. Thanks in advance for all the help.
cheers, Kevin.

Re: Proud new owner of a Contessa

Welcome to the group and welcome to the neighbourhood! There are a few members local to you and sometime this spring Jane and I will be hosting a renaming ceremony for our ongoing project as she's going in the water in May. All interested parties are welcome so hope to meet you then. I'll post details as we know them.

See you on the water
                                                                      John & Jane

P.S.  Whats your sail #?

.                               ,,,,,
                               (o o)
------------------oOO---(_)---OOo------------------

I can't comment on gel vs. non-gel as I've only had non-gel.  I top it up once a season so it's not a lot of work.  It's been submerged a few times in both salt and fresh water and so far no ill effects.  (wish I could say the same about me).

I only have the one battery.  It runs VHF, Chart Plotter, depth sounder/knot log and lights.  I also use it to run the bilge pump when I don't feel like pumping.  I have never had it run down.  I charge it up once a year and then let the 6A generator on my motor take care of it.  I know battery experts may say this isn't the best way to treat a battery but what can I say?  It's not on the "A" list smile   My battery is about 8 years old.

One thing I'd advise is to make sure your battery is well secured wherever it is.  If you go aground or get knocked down you don't want to lose your electrical system because your battery terminals have come off.  You'd be without lights and may not know where you are - not at all cool. 

Welcome to the wonderful world of CO26.  I ooh and ahh over the interiors of Beneteaus and Hunters compared to my somewhat shabby, home-made interior.  I enjoy the majestic lines and impressive speed of those giant european boats.  But no other boat makes me happy like my Contessa.

Congratulations, kevincredit,
I have the older water batteries but I understand gel cells have different charging requirements than the older type batteries.
I find a second battery helpful when I have to show an anchor light all night and we like a reading lamp on in the v-berth by the head. We have an Autohelm autopilot that can flatten one battery steering for 7-8 hours. We appreciate having a battery dedicated to starting the diesel.
A fishing guide buddy showed me a gauge to test a battery that shows the percent of charge left in it. This is more enlightening than just a voltage reading. I find that a battery with 30% or more charge left in it will start the Yanmar.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Congrats Kevin, I am a little late in the accolades...but know the excitement, whether she is a 1984 (like I had) or a 1976...like I  have now!!!

Batteries, mine came with none, snicker, guffaw....but am investigating the golf-cart ones...for both size and efficiency....but we are a ways away from batteries....the friend/mechanic buddy we dragged over to the boat says he is not sure if he can get the engine started unless he pulls it out...but it is turning over, so that is a good sign!!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Happy sailing Kevin!

And measure measure measure for the battery solution you come up with.  The placement under the cabin sole on my boat is very snug and has restricted my battery choices.  I was able to shoe-horn in a good-sized deep cycle starting battery, and a larger deep cycle battery for house loads.  Not an ideal solution but it serves my needs.

Hello Kevin
Welcome to the Contessa 26 brethren.
I to will be buying batteries for my 1986. I've read that some owners don't want their batteries in the bilge in case they get pooped and have some cabin flooding. I think the solution would be to have water and gas tight gel batteries in the bilge, keeping the weight low, so this is no longer a concern. I think she is tender  enough without putting the 100 to 200 lbs. of battery any place other then the lowest place possible.