Topic: Vire BVR Engine

Have you tried these guys?  http://www.fairwaysmarine.com/

Re: Vire BVR Engine

I too have the Vire 7. A listing of suppliers is here: http://gofree.indigo.ie/~vire7/

I have used these folks for parts. They are quick, but not cheap.
Hansen Marine Engineering
P.O. Box 1106
32 Tioga Way
Marblehead
Massachusetts 01945
International Telephone: +1 (781) 631 3282
International Facsimile: +1 (781) 639 1467
E-mail: hansen@hansenmarine.com
Website: http://www.hansenmarine.com

Canada shows a listing:
CrinMar
873 Apple Down Drive
Kingston
Ontario
K7P 1C7
CANADA
Toll-free Telephone from North America: 1-866-274-6261
Jim

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Jim wrote:

I too have the Vire 7. A listing of suppliers is here: http://gofree.indigo.ie/~vire7/
Hi Jim
Thanks for the info - will get in touch with Hanasen Marine and see
what options there are.
I had Crimar work on the cylinder but they have been unable to come up with a replacement piston
Roy B.
I have used these folks for parts. They are quick, but not cheap.
Hansen Marine Engineering
P.O. Box 1106
32 Tioga Way
Marblehead
Massachusetts 01945
International Telephone: +1 (781) 631 3282
International Facsimile: +1 (781) 639 1467
E-mail: hansen@hansenmarine.com
Website: http://www.hansenmarine.com

Canada shows a listing:
CrinMar
873 Apple Down Drive
Kingston
Ontario
K7P 1C7
CANADA
Toll-free Telephone from North America: 1-866-274-6261
Jim

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Thanks for the info.
Will try their website for possible replacement

Roy B.


smh wrote:

Have you tried these guys?  http://www.fairwaysmarine.com/

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Watch out for Crinan Marine..  Overcharges, and generally just does piss poor work.

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Stefan d

Have heard similar comments about Crinan but the owner has recently sold the business and new owner has downsized to reduce overhead and
certainly seems to know what he's doing.
I've located a replacement piston and will know more when I pick up the re-honed cylinder and piston later this week and will comment on the level of charges for his service.

Roy B.

stefan_d wrote:

Watch out for Crinan Marine..  Overcharges, and generally just does piss poor work.

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Stefan D

A brief follow-up to your concerns with Crinan Marine.
I located a piston locally and went to the new operation
in Kingston.  I had them hone and flush cylinder, clean
up piston, supply new ring set, replacement gaskets, a
used cooliing line and Ignition wire at an excellent price.

I can truly recommend the new owner Keith Strutt - Crinmar
873 Apple Down Dr. Kingston, Ontario K7P 1C7
Phone (613) 634-8100
Fax  (613) 634-8110
e/mail  crinmar@crinmar.com

stefan_d wrote:

Watch out for Crinan Marine..  Overcharges, and generally just does piss poor work.

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Good to hear!  Maybe the new owner should change the name.....  It doesn't take long for bad news to circulate, but takes a while to build business back up again.  They used to do some awful work.  Electrical work that was downright scary.  When it comes down to it though, there are very very few decent marine outfits in this area.  That or my standards are too high...  If you want it done right do it.......  In any event, I'll pass along to anyone that asks that the place is under new ownership and maybe worth checking out... Cheers

Stef

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Stefan D

Your comments about quality service are absolutely right -
so right that when something good happens it is work talking about   

I might add that I located the replacement piston at Loyalist
Cove Marina - who has some parts from a rebuilt engine.
David took the time to dig thru' a box of parts for the piston,
then proceeded to send me away with it saying that if it was the
right one and would work to let him know and we would clear up the
matter of cost/payment then.  Didn't ask for name, address or any ID
just "come back when things were resolved".
3 days later I returned to purchase it at a ridiculously low price
by comparison to Fairways in the U.S. and a source in Denmark.

Roy B.


stefan_d wrote:

Good to hear!  Maybe the new owner should change the name.....  It doesn't take long for bad news to circulate, but takes a while to build business back up again.  They used to do some awful work.  Electrical work that was downright scary.  When it comes down to it though, there are very very few decent marine outfits in this area.  That or my standards are too high...  If you want it done right do it.......  In any event, I'll pass along to anyone that asks that the place is under new ownership and maybe worth checking out... Cheers

Stef

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Roy, thanks for your recommendation. I obtained, 2 cylinder plugs for my Vire, at less than half the cost of a machine shop's cost for 1. And next day service. I would also highly recommend Keith for Vire or any other boating inquiries.

Originally posted by Roy P. Bergerson

Stefan D


I can truly recommend the new owner Keith Strutt - Crinmar
873 Apple Down Dr. Kingston, Ontario K7P 1C7
Phone (613) 634-8100
Fax  (613) 634-8110
e/mail  crinmar@crinmar.com

Re: Vire BVR Engine

Looking for a Piston for a Vire BVR Engine:
I'm located in Picton - Prince Edward County - and in the process of repairing a faulty Vire BVR engine on my 73-JJTc26
With assistance I've removed and torn the enging apart to discover
a broken shoulder on the piston.
I've had the cylinder honed and I'm now having a problem replacing the broken piston.
Does anyone have a spare ????  or know where I might locate one.