Topic: Self Draining Cockpit

Hi everyone, i'm a 1969 JR Contessa owner from the UK, this is my first post so go easy on me!

I'm looking to attempt to convert my cockpit to self draining, i wondered if anyone who has a professionally done self draining cockpit who is happy with the system would be kind enough to give me some information on how it all works?

Preferably with drawings, explanations or just photos, any information i can get would be a great help.

Thanks a lot

Mike

Re: Self Draining Cockpit

A J Rogers  Contessa doesn't have cockpit drains?
I'm giving some thought to adding two large cockpit drains on the vertical aft bulkhead of my cockpit. These would drain right out thru the transom covered with spring loaded doors or a one way valve of some sort to prevent following seas filling the cockpit. These drains would be to quickly drain a flooded cockpit to a point an inch or two above the cockpit sole where the existing sole drains would finish the job.
The cockpit of the JJ Taylor Contessa is a bit to big to have filled with small cockpit drains.

when the boats in the water and sitting neutral, my cockpit doesnt drain all that well.  the floor slopes maybe a degree forward, so the drains should be placed forward.  the tight engine compartment will never allow for that, so i keep my anchor chain in the aft locker.  helps.

My 1980 Contessa has two large bronze drains on each side of the cockpit floor a tad aft of center. Below the cockpit floor, aft of the diesel and alongside of the transmission, two large automotive (radiator) hoses attach from the bronze drains, above, to two black plastic seacocks (new). The thrugh-hull (new plastic) openings are well below the waterline.
I get a little water coming in the low side when I sail her over on her ear but it flows right out when she rights herself. A teak grate on the cockpit floor keeps the tootsies dry.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!