Topic: Outboard Motor Bracket for 9.9 4stroke

I have a 1974 JJT model w/ a tired and apparently frozen Vire.  I've recently acquired a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke hi thrust 25" leg outboard(by far the most sophisticated outboard I've ever owned) in near new condition.  I'm sure this is ample power for the boat.  A little heavier than I'd like, but w/ all the features(removable tiller can be mounted conveniently in the cockpit) it's going to replace the Vire, and I'll gain a lot of space under the cockpit sole.  Furthermore, should I take the boat to Staten Island and leave it moored there, I won't have to deal w/ impossible to control fouling on the prop that's indigenous to Great Kills Harbor.
My problem is to devise and fabricate a totally fixed bracket w/ no moving parts(not sure if the 25' shaft length will allow that and be effective/efficient), or a bracket  w/ one moving part that allows the engine mount to slide vertically 5-10 inches to be deep in the water when in use and up high w/ the motor tilted fwd when not in use.  I see a number of Contessa's w/ very small OBs, and these are people who are crossing oceans and will have limited need for the OB. Does anyone have any firsthand experience mounting a 10hp 4 stroke motor on their Contessa?
Thanks, Chris Bell

Re: Outboard Motor Bracket for 9.9 4stroke

Hi Chris Bell,
I bought a swing up mount from West Marine. It was rated for up to 20 hp and had the longest possible swing up and down. I hung a short shaft Evinrude 15 hp on there and got 7 knots of speed with motor only. The Contessa stern has extreme rake inward at the bottom and that is a problem. Raising the mount and rotating the Evinrude foot up still left the prop in the water when heeling under sail.
I installed a new Yanmar 1GM10 diesel but left the transom mount on. I can lift my 31/2 hp Nissan dingy motor off it's push pit mount and hang it on the swing mount if the Yanmar craps out.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Re: Outboard Motor Bracket for 9.9 4stroke

I have a nice Honda, weighs about 100 lbs.  It's mounted on the transom with a standard vertically raising bracket.  I have two wedge-shaped pieces in place to make the mount more vertical.  My boat has never had a diesel.

It works ok but I never move it up and down as reaching over to raise it vertically is quite a challenge.  When tilting it I just use the tilt on the engine itself which isn't hard.  When on starboard tack the prop drags a little bit when heeled. 

Much as I think diesel is cool and looks tidier, I perfer the practicality of the outboard.  At most it would cost me $3,200 to fix (i.e. a brand new replacement).  I can store it somewhere in the winter.  I can service it anywhere.  It drives the boat at 6 knots.  It can be used as a stern thruster both forward and reverse.

When you have an outboard your ASPN goes from 94 to 97. 

In a dream world I'd go elecric with a small gas or diesel charging engine mounted somewhere else.