Topic: hull questions

How strong are the Contessa hulls?  I am looking at a 1974.  Are they ae strong as a Norsea?

Thanks

Re: hull questions

Those in the business will tell you that the Contessa 26 is an over built boat for her size when it comes to ocean travels. jklee

Does anyone have anything more specific about the strength of the Contessa hulls.  The one I am looking at is pretty old.  Thanks.

This is an odd question?! The hull is clearly strong enough to deal with any sailing conditions it may encounter. The strength of any boat's hull is fairly immaterial without considering it's shape. For instance, the Nor'Sea's hull HAS to be stronger because it's a broader, more blunt boat, so head seas have more surface area to present force upon. The contessa is a good sea-going boat not because of how it's built, but because of its design - it's narrow and deep relative to its length. It also has low freeboard, so this coupled with its narrow beam present less surface area to stress and less structure to support. I'd suggest not worrying about hull strength and focusing on the type of boat you want, and the condition any specific boat you find is in.

When I was hauling the boat out this year, one of the aft crattle pads was leaning upright rather that flat. No one noticed as the boat was lowered. The wooden pad ripped off and the hull rested on the corner of the 1/8" steel plate pad. The corner was bend back a few inches and the gelcoat was scraped, bit there is no fiberglass damage. Do not try this puncture test at home. One year the crane started to pull the boat off the crattle sideways and there was huge pressure on one pad. The hull was pushed in about 3 inches without a crack or delam.

"How strong are the Contessa hulls?"

...depends on what you're planning on running into....