Topic: Bukh engine water supply

I have an 86 Contessa (Taylor) with an 8 hp Bukh diesel. Is anyone out there familiar with this engine? Where is the valve for the water supply to cool the engine?
To be more precise, the valve for the through hull, permitting water to enter and cool that beast down.

Re: Bukh engine water supply

I have the exact same thing... I think they got a deal on shut off valves...
One thing I'm installing this year is a water skimmer... witch I'm not sure how many of us actually have...

José

speaking of Bukh's.....
I am going to repower my 1986 co26 with a new Beta.  I will be looking for a home for my low hour Bukh DV10ME.
I have no personal experience with this motor. When the boat was surveyed, three and a half years ago (last time it was in the water) it ran well according to the surveyor.  I wasn't there.
Any interest???
Bob P.
Ipswich, MA

I saw Tessa yesterday Jose, when I was down looking at my Dad's new boat. She's looking good, but you need to get a name on her!

And to be fair, my water intake did have a strainer.

Thanks very much guys. I shall go looking tomorrow. 
Offhand, I don't recall seeing such a valve in the battery compartment. Where does it connect to the engine? Maybe I can trace the hose back to the valve.

What does the strainer look like? Is there a chance that I already have one on a boat that spent most of it's time on Georgian Bay?

cheers, Kevin.

Yahoo, I found it. It was in the battery compartment, just tucked up a little out of sight.
Thanks again fellas.

cheers, K.

Is there anyone out there parting out a Bukh DV10? I need a water temp. sending switch.
Does the switch for the DV8 fit the DV10?
This low hour DV10 is now looking for a new home.

are you repowering? 

maybe with a twin?
i dont mind my 1 lunger yanmar , sounds like a 200 lb sewing machine at idle but smooths out alright past about 1200 revs

10 (edited by rbporter 2008-12-14 06:07:43)

Yes, repower.
Replacing the Bukh with, probably, a Beta 10 or 13. The Nanni and Phasor is also in the running. I would like to hear from anyone who knows anything about these.The twin is very smooth and quiet.
VARUNA's Bukh DV8 was replaced with a Beta 10, Big improvement.
The Bukh is to exotic for me. That's fine for someone who drives and loves tinkering with his or her  vintage Peugeot, MG or Triumph but I drive a Toyota. I want something that starts when I want, doesn't drip oil, is economical and can get parts reasonably priced. 
Like the DV10 I understand they no longer make the one lung 10 hp Yanmar. Parts are and will be available, price aside,  for some time to come though.