Topic: Swim Ladder or Steps

I was wondering what different solutions people have for a boarding solution from the water.
Transom or side? how deep?
Pictures work great if you have some,
thanks,
Peter

Re: Swim Ladder or Steps

Hi Peter:

I have mine mounted on the stern close- off centre and on the port side of the transom - I think it is out of the way - I plan on mounting a self sterring vane from Monitor and everything should still fit - your right length is key - I have a standar steps that fold up and I just tie it off the pushpit- but had to add an extra step (a round bar tied to the last step) in order to properly get out of the water.  It is awkard climbing over the pushpit - but it is out ofthe way.  I will take a picture this weekend and post.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Ivanross,
If your buying a self steering new then presumably you have investigated the all the offerings.
I'm curious as to why you are selecting the Monitor. I'll be buying a ss unit  and would like all the information you or others could provide.
thanx...

Hi rbporter:

Primary reason for the Monitor is that it has a very good reputation, tried and true.

Also many Conetssa 26s that have done some serious long distance cruising have used the Monitor and swear by it - so perhaps I am being naive but compared to other wind vanes, it has a simple set up and it is realitively easy to fix and get spare parts.

It is really the only vane I have looked at seriously - cost is a bit daunting but if it supports manufacturing in North America - well I can support it.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Well - I have posted the pictures of Morava's stern ladder - not so great - I took them with my BB but hopefully they are helpful.  I posted them in the technical and maintenance section.  Also I added a couple of other pictures of her being hauled out just this weekend in the Boats section.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Ivan,

How do they thread the strap through your rudder ? It will prevent the problem of positioning the strap in the correct place, to prevent them from getting caught on the cradle, when the boat is lowered. ( as we had to fight with mine this haul out ) As well as low water conditions we had last year, with the straps getting caught under the rudder.

Cheers,

Jim

Hi Jim:

What I have noticed is that they take a boat hook and drop the one end of the strap down while a third person watches from the stern in order to position the strap past the rudder so it sits under that section behin the prop.

It is a three man job because you have a guy looking at the stern to make sure the strap is positioned just right - the boat is backed into the dock - and you have a guy on the port and one on the starboard side and then they thread it very carefully from the side - not from the rudder going backwards or under the keel - they thread it through the opening between the prop and the rudder  - hence the use of the boat hook or line attached to the strap to bring it across with out hitting the prop.. 

And if she is positioned right, she sits perfectly in the straps and then she drops right into the cradle.

I know - with the full keel most marinas have a hard time lifting her out of the water - but so far - knock on wood - Collins Bay has it down to a science.

Hope this helps - I will post another picture that might help a bit.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

On port side.  Works fine.  Gate in lifelines of course.  Ladder lives in up position tied to stern pulpit rail, easy to reach from water to release slip knot to let ladder down (watch it don't bonk yer head).  Would suck if it was on windward side of a healing boat though....Also very convenient for getting on/off little sit-on-top kayak I use for dinghy.  Can't remember if it's three or four steps, but first step is submerged and easy to reach from in water, second is at water level, one more and out...that seems to add up to three.