Topic: Contessa Advice

Advice:

1. If you have any respect for life, whether it is yours or others' that may risk their lives to get you out of trouble, don't ever go offshore on your own first time. No matter how many cubic meters of books you read, it's nothing like you thought it'd be. Take an experienced offshore sailor with you on your first passage and see how you do, physically, psychologically and emotionally. It's a very powerful experience that can disable you as both crew and skipper.

2. Get a "mentor" to assist you with everything from buying the right boat to equipping it and train on it.

3. This is not an impossible dream, and I admire you for just wanting to throw yourself into something like this, however, the road from dream to reality is long and arduous.

4. Before you sign "Skippa" make sure you put 1000 miles under your belt. Otherwise, what are you going to call yourself after a Transatlantic, Sir Francis Drake?

Re: Contessa Advice

stay strong young'en.  dream big before you get bogged down in the "real life" shit storm.  why do we aspire to do such masochist things as the mini transat? or the tour de france?  or Paris-Dakar? or Vendee or VOR?  as a recovering racing cyclist, i wonder...

and don't be so young as to ignore advice from experienced people (like the last poster).

my only advice: train, train, train to be one tough mother fucker.  listen to good advice and guidance.

all power to ya and best of luck in your quest.

From my readings, the Mini has specialized boats and the Contessa 26 would be to heavy for that race and the Vendee is a big boat race, so I would get training on a larger boat then a 26 footer. MacArthur did her first race in an open 60, a very big boat.  You might want to follow her foot steps on becoming a racer.  The Jester (JR Contessa 26) was in the Trans-Atlantic races in the 1960's/70's and did good but today boats are much faster. Just FYI

The most important thing you can do to prepare to sail is SAIL!  Sail anything you can afford or talk your way onto, anywhere you can.  There's absolutely no substitute for experience when you're offshore. 

With the advent of GPS and tricked out cruising boats with electric everything, I've seen way too many people sailing in places they have no business being on boats they can't handle if anything goes wrong.  Way to many cruisers long on $$ and short on experience out there.  Learn to reef, steer, navigate, work on an engine, splice, sew, understand weather...  the list goes on, all things that only experience can get you.

While Ellen MacArthur sailed early on as crew on an open 60, she also owned several smaller boats that she bought herself (the first by saving her school lunch money). At age 18 she sailed round Britain in a 21' boat, the third she had bought herself and fixed up.  She had good singlehanded ocean experience by the time she did the mini-transat a year or so later, and even more before she started singlehanding the big sleds.

The point is, get out and sail as much as you can.  Buy a good boat that you can afford and sail it.  Crew on other peoples boats.  Help them work on them too!  And have fun!  Good luck!

Bingo!  Ditch the electronics and 100 gallon fuel tank, and see how well some of these cruisers do.  Not that I could do any better, cause I havn't yet, but at least I'm preparing myself better...  And I've got a bit of sailing experience (my younger brother learned to walk on my folk's first boat)

The lady I bought my boat from - her first real sail on anything other than a Byte or a Laser II or circumnavigating Lake Champlain on a Hobie was when she took Untold Want from New York to Bermuda.  Some people are just cut out for it, some aren't.  Only way to find out is to try it.  She continued thru the Caribbean, Panama, Hawaii.  Guess she learned quick.  And trust me, you've seen the pics of my boat.  As rough as it was, it still took good care of her, but I'd be reluctant to head out into Lake Ontario in a big wind with my boat "as it was".

Long and short of it don't let anyone discourage you.  A bit of attitude is a good thing, but there is always someone out there who's done more, knows better, and is more experienced than you.  This goes for everyone.  (even me... haha - there's that arrogance again)  You still kickin' Merrill?  On holidays?  Havn't heard from you in a while.  More specifically, havn't heard what you think of the pictures.  And my "techniques" 

I'm a young guy, and most everyone thinks I'm nuts for starting this and even crazier because I plan to actually go somewhere with the boat.  Best advice I can give is just go for it.  The people that call me crazy for this - most do it because my "quarter life crisis" (and I'm not even 25!) is way bigger than anything they've ever done.

I do not agree with your idea of ditching the electronics.  In todays world i believe it is now irresponsible to go to sea without proper electronics.  Ya all of you traditionalist can say "well they have done it for thousands of years" but people have done lots of things over the years which are no longer thought smart with new technologies.  Now electronics are available and are not incredibly expensive they should be a part of every sailors navigational arsenal if you plan on sailing your boat outside of the bay where your marina is located.  It is much safer to be able to navigate with both traditional navigational techniques and also use the electronics.  The electronics make everyday navigation much safer easier and quicker.  No matter how good and experienced you are at navigating without electronics i would put my money on the inexperienced navigator with GPS and radar in tight busy waters with thick fog to pull through without running up on the beach or being struck by another boat(not an ideal circumstance and one you should try to stay out of but it does happen.  If it hasn't happened to you then you probably haven't sailed enough or you are very lucky).

SkipperT, I bought a contessa 26 last november and did an extensive refit (3 months) on it.  I lived on it for 8 months last year and sailed it singlehanded from Victoria, BC to Alaska.  I am nineteen years old.  My email is mark_sherlock@hotmail.com if you are interested in chattin you could drop me a line.

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

maybe if you have shitty electronics.

Usualkly, in the crutch where you need your electronics most the conditions are not condusive to things working right (wet, rough, etc) or maybe you've got a halfassed electrical system that's ready to give up the ghost (lots, more like most, are...  seen em) There's more possibility for failure in the systems required to power fancy elecronics than there is of an experienced navigator forgetting how to find where they are. 

GPS and Radar should only be thought of as a tool, a backup, a means to verify that you are where you think you are.  Because when the lights go out, you've got nothing.  They're great toys, but cannot be relied upon 100%.

That's why the wisest sailors say to have backup systems, and whichever system you prefer is totally your own choice, as long as you have a back up.  Because, if for whatever reason, you lose your preferred system (trip and drop sextant overboard or trip and smash head into GPS screen) you will be hooped if that was all you had.   Solar panels to back up engine alternator.  Radar reflector  to backup radar.  Sextant and paper charts to backup chart program and/or GPS. (or GPS to backup GPS?!) Handheld compass to backup bulkhead compass.  Because, if it can wreck or break, it will...it can even be non-boat related....I wear glasses, so I have two extra pairs on board, along with prescription sunglasses, and numerous sets of disposable contacts.  Because, if I lose my vision capability, where will I be?!  Not able to use any of my systems!! ;-(  So, as a solo sailor, I prepare for total collapse of each and every system on my boat, and figure out, ok, what do I need here to back this up?
One effective word: Overprepare...whatever size your wallet or whichever system you want to use...prepare.  Well, that's my humble, newbie opinion, anyways! ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

For you sextant nostalgics, or fundamentalists of the old navigation technique, here's the reality.
Some of the most famous sailors alive today haven't taken the sextant out of the box in many years. This is not the "new generation" of the digital revolution, these are old wolves that used the sextant to roam the world 30 years ago.
The digital age is here, and it's here to stay. Even the hard-lined traditionalists embraced the technological progress and are now using it for precision and accuracy.

GPS made our landfalls about 500% more reliable,, EPIRB can bring you help from thousands of miles away, SSBs and satphones give you weather and communication capabilities, radar gives you eyes where yours can't see. What's wrong with that? Ships use it, airplanes use it, space shuttles use it, technology is there to help and we insist on a mirror to bring the sun to the horizon?
Crossing the North Atlantic may give you at times one or two opportunities to see the sun. Your DR will tell you you should see Ireland when you may well be off Iceland. In the meantime, one push of a button will give you a fix with an error of a few feet. What's wrong with that? Who in this case shows more seamanship, the guy that didn't want to spent 100$ on a handheld GPS or the guy with the expensive sextant that he cannot use?
It's all about redundancy systems. I use digital charts on a laptop connected to a GPS, I have a chartplotter as a back-up, and I have 3 handheld GPSs as a third alternative. I also carry a plastic sextant for emergencies.
I like to know exactly where I am at all times. And I wouldn't cross and ocean without these instruments.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying that GPS is inherently bad – it’s the way people rely on it to the extent that they neglect fundamental piloting and navigation skills.  GPS should be a PIECE of the navigation solution, not the whole ball of wax.  A prudent mariner NEVER relies on only one observation or technique.  People who neglect to keep a DR or pay attention to set & drift are setting themselves up for trouble.  99 percent of the time you’ll get away with it, but that one percent, you’re hosed. 

Christian had a lot of navigational technology on his trip.  One might have thought he had all kinds of redundancy with his GPS, laptop, chartplotter and 3 backup GPS units, but has anyone ever been struck by lightning?  The electromagnetic pulse from lightning can fry anything electronic on board very easily, whether hard wired or not.  At that point one can chuck your GPS units & chartplotter in the next port’s dumpster! (I know – it’s happened to me).  If one hasn’t been keeping a DR, keeping a good log and maintaining profiency with your sextant, you’re hosed.

I’ve done ocean crossings both with and without electronic navigation, and can certainly appreciate the accuracy and rapidity of GPS navigation.  Commercially I wouldn’t be without it.  Heck, if James Cook was sailing today you can be sure he’d use the latest available technology.  But at times I have chosen to sail without electronic navigation because that is part of what gives me pleasure in making passages.  I’m comfortable with the techniques and know that they work for me.  If my engine and batteries all died simultaneously, I know I could most likely complete the passage safely and with minimal disruption.  How many cruisers out there can say that?  How many would be calling the Coast Guard or activating EPIRBs? 

Sure, sometimes you need to do things a little differently sailing without GPS & radar.  Sometimes it’s necessary to heave to off a harbor until morning.  Sometimes you need to give dangers a wider berth when you’ve been running a DR for a while.  Patience and Prudence become regular companions (not that we all couldn’t benefit from having them aboard more often…)

I guess my point is that we each need to make our choices ourselves and not be too quick to call others irresponsible or unsafe.  I don’t consider myself a “nostalgic” or “fundamentalist” in need of “the reality”.  When I occasionally have eschewed GPS it’s not because I’m cheap, nor am I unable to use my sextant.  Ultimately you can’t measure safety by how much gear is aboard (contrary to what the sailing mags would have you believe …)  There’s way more that goes into the equation than that, with the sailor himself being the biggest factor! 

I still contend that the most important thing you can do to prepare yourself to sail offshore is to sail sail sail as much, as often, and with as many different mentors as you can.

Hey, that Contessa that John said is for sale is a Rogers boat!  Smaller cockpit, and it's stripped down like Stefan did to his!!  That's a good buy...good luck, kid, and just do what your gut tells you...if you want six GPSs, go for it, Christian has his systems setup, I have mine, you will develop yours.  Ultimately it's you and your boat, so make sure you take care of her and she'll take care of you!   Have fun, whatever you do!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Hats off to you Bill! I totally agree with you although it may not seem that way :-)
My remarks were not pointed towards a particular comment in this thread, but in general to any extreme right or left on this subject.
I have a hard time with the "all traditional" or "all electronic" hard-liners. There are limitations with each of these approaches and one should have a balanced view on this. I realize now I seemed way too much in favour of electronics when I was just trying to defend a balanced view. I also forgot to mention (because it's a given) that I do use paper charts, plotting, DR, bearings, drift, set and everything else considered traditional navigation, and I'm pretty good at it too.
I have been caught in a thunderstorm in the Gulf Stream and to say that I was nervous is an understatement. At that point I was visualizing my boat with hundreds of small holes in the hull, and going fast towards the nearest land, 5000 meters under the keel. Finding Bermuda without electronics might have been a challenge but I'm confident I would have done it on DR only because I keep a log every hour.
I have great respect for your experience Bill, and I apologize if I sounded uncouth in my message. I honestly did not think of any person here in particular, I was just trying to get a point across that there is no black & white approach to sailing.
I sure hope I'll never become an expert, because I don't believe in experts at sea.
And for you Mr. Skippa, as you can see, people get so passionate about sailing that the discussions heat up quickly. Luckily Shannon is here to keep the boys out of trouble.

Best Regards,
Christian

the boat listing the john posted is no longer for sale.  i  purchased her and started a refit.

-cody

I thought I recognized the interior and Rogers boat from somewhere, Cody has mentioned in another post he had one!  Wow, big job for you, like Stefan!  See, Skipper, these little ships go quick, so you have to just trust your gut: if it's a good deal for you, buy her!  Then, sail her as much as you can, every day, even if it's only for an hour!  That's how I learned, (not that I even know anything yet) but I now know how my boat handles in a large number of situations: tide, current, wind, waves, chop, flat calm, etc!  And I also know my heart can stop but will re-start at the whim of my boat, ha ha!  Anyways, yes, just sail her all the time, go out in crappy weather in your area, even for 15 minutes!  Be nervous sometimes, but be determined that you will learn how she handles, and then you will be so happy with her you will go anywhere in her!  And I always sail solo, so I am getting to know everything that happens on her and why...and hey, enjoy each day you are doing stuff with your boat, as you'll get old enough fast enough!  And when YOU feel YOU are ready, GO FOR IT!  Whatever it is, you'll do fine!  People said that to me the very first day I went out alone on my boat, and I did do fine! ;-)
And Christian, I'm glad us girls on the forum (Kristin too!) can temper the men around here! ;-)  Sometimes e-mail can unintentionally sound a little harsh, yet we all have the same passion: our little full-keeled ships that will take us anywhere we want to go, no matter how fancy of pants we are wearing! ;-)
Kid, keep us posted!!

john- i'd love to supply our boat's info for your database but i am not quite sure of the specifics.  i will let you know soon!

for now:

1974 era Rogers Contessa 26
purchased in cincinnati ohio, Nov 2005. 
trailered overland to homeport: padanaram, massachusetts.
winter storage/workspace under construction!
refit to follow...

Shannon-
  I found a Contessa 26 for sale in Newburyport,MA. I live about 1 1/2 to 2 hours from there. It is cheap! $5,500 USD, to be exact. My school gets out for Christmas break this Friday, and I might go up and try to have a look at the boat. Thanks for the replies and advice from all!
                        -Tom

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

That contessa in Newburyport, MA i have seen for sale for quite awhile on yachtworld.com.  5500$ sounds pretty cheap but it is super hard to know what you are gettin from looking at pictures from the internet.  Go have a look at it if you are nearby, you could always phone the broker.  He may have some useful information about it that is not on the website.  Good Luck