Topic: Refurbishment of Morava

Hi all:

I am seriously thinking of completely overhaling Morava after this sailing season.  That means new paint on the hul, new ports, new hatches, sails, perhaps a the spars, redoing the deck finding and fixing all leaks, adding a windlass, new interior such as a gimballed stove, perhaps fridge, lockers etc...  And perhaps a new engine. 

So  given there is no way I can do all of this with my limited abilities, does anyone know of a any good boat yards in thr kingston toronto areas that could take on such a project withou making me go bankrupt.

cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: Refurbishment of Morava

I think you'll still have to rob a bank, buy the winning lottery, work 48 hours in a 24 hour day and still sit on the corner with you tin cup to get all of this paid for. It is costing me enough just to buy yhe new gaskets for my two hatches to stop that leak. If you do this, please do a before, after and during photos of all this work. This will make a great to-do book for Contessa 26 site. Sorry for not being more helpful, since I am on Lake Erie - USA side, but maybe tie in with those that work on the Spirit of Canada these day (can remember the marina name). Good luck! jklee

Hey John - thanks for the message.  I agree vis-a-vis the tin cup approach - I am marshalling all my capabilities in that regard;-)

However, very good advice I will document everything when I begin and let folks know how things are progressing and of course seek advice.

Cheers and thanks

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

4 (edited by jimco48 2008-06-16 05:26:09)

Ivan,

If you can get your hands on a past issue of Good Old Boat magazine, in the July/August, 07 edition, there is an article on Allan Nye Scott.
The fellow responsible for bringing the production of Contessa's to Canada. When he left JJ Taylor, he set up a shop in Kingston to build Alberg's.
At the time of the article he had changed to refurbishing sailboats, namely Contessa and Albergs.  I cannot recall if they mentioned a current company name or address.
Found name in yellow pages, "Nye Boat Works", Foxboro, On., 613-771-9570, near Belleville.

Excellent, I remeber reading that article, and tried to look him up on the internet, but couldn't find anything.  This is great thanks for the phone number, I will givce them a call given his past history with the both Albergs and Contessa's.

Thanks again.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

ivan  - all i can say is that refurbishing a contessa even though its 26 feet is a big job.  might want to check out williams, or blyachting.com

im still working away at iroquois on mine......

Hi stefan_d:

Thanks for the info - I am just glad that I don't have a 32;-).  Thanks for the names - I have checked them out on the web site - web pages are impressive.

Good luck on yours, I am (at least at this moment) mentally prepared, but perhaps in ten months I will be stark raving mad and bankrupt - but at least I have to give it a try.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

you'd be surprised at what you can do yourself - its really not all that hard.  just requires the pateience to stick with it (surprised i have so far) and the courage to do things to your boat that you'd rather have someone else do.

I'm glad to see there're others out there contemplating a total refit. We know these are wonderful little boats and are worth rstoring. Having bought my 1986 boat three years plus ago and not having any time for my "signature project" I've decided to buck up and have someone else do it. Northern Yacht Restoration in Whitefield, Maine (GOOGLE him) is taking me on this fall/winter for a spring 2009 splash down. Total refit; paint, decks, Beta diesel, plumbing, wiring, spars, wood, traveller, Cape Horn, cushions, electronics, etc. etc.
He's a one man shop and also runs a website for Tritons. He digitally records the entire project for the owner and others  to watch on line. Pretty exciting stuff!!
Expensive? What are our toys worth to us? Think about your bank balance when you take last breath. . . .

Thanks rbporter:

I did google him, and I remember going through his web site on Gilissandro - that guy does some really nice work and very creative ideas and even though I am not a fan of the Tritons, I sure could be given how he has fixed them up.  Too bad I am up her in Ottawa, would have seriously contemplated giving him a call - that would be something two contessa's side by side getting refit.

Good luck with the project, really looking forward to seeing how she turns out and all the before and after pictures.  Also, if you don't mind, when you do come to that decesion, can you let the forum know what you are doing exactly - what is the list of things you are going to get done - I might cheat and borrow some ideas from you.

All the best.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Okay - I know this is a silly question, but can't help asking it all the same - if you were to make changes to your boat - as a start - what would they be?

My preliminary list is as follows

1) new hull paint - above and below the water line.
2) new deck paint is possible or new gel coat.
3) overhaul engine - she is leaking oil, blue smoke etc... but still runs good for a 1980 Faryman.
4) find and fix all leaks on deck.
5) new forehatch.
6) revamp and fix electronics - crazy stuff in there - none of my stuff (depth and knot meter) works except the CD player.
7) all new sails (they are 28 years old) - new main, staysail, and no 1 genoa.
8) new interior cushions.
9) do I need to re rig - I don't know?

I think as a start that is it - and perhaps this is already over budget - I am starting to get quotes - will let you know how that turns out.  Any other suggestions - in that, am I focusing to much on the cosemtic and not enough on the structure - a complete survey was done 4 years ago and no blisters or osmosis (except in the rudder which was fixed) so I think the hull is in pretty good shape.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Start with #4.

I have been rebuilding my Contessa (Lua #190) for 5 years now.  When I got her she had been for the most part abandoned for a number of years.  After cleaning her out the first things I did were to get her water tight (deck and hull) and then started working on the rest of the list.  What was most important after that was to get her sailing.  Being in OH, I figured it was best to get some sailing time in then work on her during the following winter.  She's not a gold platter but she has come very far and continues to amaze me the more I sail her.  Good luck with your projects, but first get her out on the water.

I agree, will start with 4 and I do plan to sail her all summer.  I agree, these projects are only as good if you get the sailing time to enjoy them.

I have to guys coming to look at the boat on Friday - will keep everyone posted.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Hello again:

Well, It looks like I am committed to getting Morava refurbished by Boat Services Kingtston for the coming winter.  This means a new paint job for both the Hull and Deck, all leaks fixed, new wiring and a new hatch and finally a new engine - either a Yanmar or a Kubota.

After following the restoration of Equinox at Nothern Yacht Restoration I was very tempted to get Morava shipped to Maine - but of course that proved too expensive. 

rbporter it looks like you have a fantastic new boat and I hope you are enjoying it this spring.

As I start the overhaul I will post pictures and comments.  But the restoration of Equinox has really set the bar.

Cheers,

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

EQUINOX has landed and has been launched (in that order). Prettiest boat in the mooring field.
I hope to have more for you later with photos.
Bob Porter
s/v EQUINOX
Ipswich, MA

Ivan,
On that expense of shipping to Maine. Talk with Tim Lackey. You may be surprised to find that you may save the additional shipping cost to Maine in just a few weeks at his rates. His work is a very very  good value.
Bob

Hey Bob:

Just from the pictures on Tim's site Equinox looks really great. 

I did email Tim extensivley, great guy, always got back to me and was very reasonably priced but once I worked out my budget, travle and even the exchange rate, which is looking better, I just could not swing it.  But he sure would be my first choice.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266