1 (edited by John Lee 2009-08-17 14:59:52)

Topic: co26 - #331 for sale

Due to my job, 2 hour distances and giving proper time to my boat, I am putting her up for sale. It is a very depressing time for me as a number of events have pushed me into a corner. I feel my Contessa 26 needs someone that will take her out on the water more then once or twice during the summer and so far this summer zero with no future time available until mid-september. The following will be put in the Market Place once it is upload.

For Sale: 1985 Contessa 26, Sail #331 (including trailer), Dunkirk, NY

Second Owner and she has sailed on Lake Erie her whole life.
10hp Bukh diesel, with new motor mounts.
All new lines, sheets with new Clutches
New main sail, storm sail, working sail (85) and genoa 135 plus the original 110 genoa in good condition.
New traveler
New Cape Horn windvane
New Raymarine radio
Mast rewired with new tri-light on top
Sleeps 4  very nice interior upholstry
New lower stanchions,
New gaskets around the hatches
New companionway made of teak
New bumpers
There are a number of photos in the photo gallery under Cavendysh plus conversations about my boat in a number of threads on this website
John Lee at 814.927.6909 or larix9 (at) yahoo (dot) com. You can best get ahold of me via my e-mail

Re: co26 - #331 for sale

Sad news John -- this working thing is overrated anyway.  Maybe hang tough and plan for next season?

Best regards!

Christopher

Sorry to hear about that John... Maybe Christopher is right... give it some time...

All the best
jose

Hey John,

Thought I'd pipe in as I hear the news.  I do agree with Christopher and Jose.  Give it some time if you can, that is.  I'm feeling rather the same way these days as you've all noticed that I've hardly posted at all.  The weather's been awful, the economy sucks and with it all that we have to do to survive.  For me, this is probably the worst summer ever.  So bad that I have to admit that I haven't even stepped my mast to this very day.  Something always seems to be more important or pressing which has prevented me from even cleaning or prepping my boat properly to prepare her for the season and I live five minutes from the marina.  I remain optimistic that I will sail Tessa this summer and early fall until haul out and if not, there's always next season.  We all know how you love having Cavendysh in your life so please don't be hasty in her sale as of yet but we do understand that you know what's best for you in whatever's happening in your life right now.

If you want to chat offline, please feel free to contact me anytime.

Best regards,

José (the other one!! ;-))

Oh, that is bad news indeed.  I hope things work out for you and you're able to keep the boat.  It would be a shame to lose it after all you've put into it.  I noticed many boats around here are on the hard taking a break for a season.  Wet weather, bad economy, not a great season all 'round.  Perhaps you'll reconsider and just take a break until things settle down for you?
Either way, best of luck.  Hopefully, even if it does sell, you'll still stick around the forum to share all the knowledge you've acquired. 
Suzeh

Hey John – I know that must have been a very hard decision you made. 

I know how you feel to some degree, I have not visited Morava in three weeks and I am regretting every second.  On my regular two hour drive to Kingston, sometimes I get frustrated because I can not spend the entire summer on Morava and therefore not keep her in the proper style – crazy eh.  Perhaps this is why we like sailing and these boats so much.

Apologies for the gratuitous “philosophizing”.  I hope you are able to enjoy the rest of the summer and that a Contessa, hopefully Cavendysh, is somewhere in your future.   As you know my dad sold Morava in 1990 and I was finally able to buy her back in 2003 – so it is possible, hopefully you will not have to wait thirteen years though.

And, if you ever need a sail and find yourself in Ontario and Kingston, drop me a line and I would be more than happy to take you sailing.

All the best,

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Thank you everyone with your kind thoughts. They have been helpful to me on getting through this. It was not easy making this decision but remember, putting up a boat for sale and actually selling it are completely two different things. So far 3 people have inquired about the boat but I am guessing the price is scaring them away, or they do not understand what OBO stands for (or best offer). With the economics as they are, I will be surprised if anyone truily wants to look at the boat as their future dream.

In making my decision, I had to look at the times I am available to sail, as I do wildand fire fighting. So when the weather is good for fire starts - making me stay close to home - it is great sailing or boat maintenance day. Thus, I lose out on April through mid-May and Western fire season starts up at end of June through mid September, which also keeps me close to home, especially this year as I am in charge of the District Fire program. With those dates taken out, I am left with only a few weeks per year to work and sail on the boat.  This does not include my normal forestry job doesn't allow for much vacation time during the field season. All of this weigh against me at the end, as I see my Cavendysh in my mind at her slip waiting for me to sail her. It seem mean to do this to a boat that is truily a great sailing boat that wishes to travel the 7 seas - dancing across the wave tops.

Thank you again for your thoughts and I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
jklee

Would it be possible for you to move her South and sail in the winter??  Perhaps we could work out a boat swapping deal??   ...always scheming, me.   wink
Best of luck, John, no matter how it turns out.
Suzeh

Hi John,
I'm sorry you had to sell Cavendysh! Its a good and a bad thing when our boat finally sells.... But one day you may get another and go sailing across the oceans! meantime, if you come to Alaska to go a fire-fighting (and we get our share up north around Fairbanks) I'll take you sailing on my boat! You can fish for halibut, watch the sea lions chase the kayakers, and wave to the cod jiggers bobbing around.
Take care, and do try to go sailing, even with someone else or rent a sailing dinghy- sailing helps restore us, and remind us of what we love, not of what we lost. Keep heart, for the Greatest Adventure still lies ahead!