Topic: Head

The head on mine was removed before I got it , and there is a hole under the stove area to access where the nuts have been.
I am using that to access the nuts for my new head.

Re: Head

While we're on the subject, can I route the discharge hose under the side deck behind the head, or does it need to be higher for the heeled waterline?

My head and holding tank are looped up under side decks with siphon loop, as per original boat construction.  Have had no trouble, yet!
But you are right, the bucket is inherently safer and easier most of the time! 
I always close off all through hulls when underway, if need to use, just open then close again.
For the toilet base, old owner had just replaced head, and he cut a tidy hole in face of base, and then put a nice vent on it, mine is a stainless one, and then you do always have access to the nuts and inside of hull too.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Wilcox Crittendon Imperial 51, or "Junior".  Many many many people replace these simple and beautiful (all cast!) units with a Brydon plastic POS because the new Brydon or Jabsco is cheaper than the rebuild kit for the Wilcox.  Damn near anything you try to toss into one of these, it'll flush it....

My 1976 JJT came with a Brydon Boy head plumbed uphill to a 'glassed-in tank under the V-Berth.  The dumb tank is a topic for another day. 

The Brydon Boy has been plagued with problems and I have despaired of making the thing work without leaking water everywhere.  I purchased a Raritan head to install this eeason but its installation requires changing the toilet base.  Here's the rub -- it appears that JJT installed the toilet base on the cabin liner before joining the hull and the liner.  And they did not bond in the nuts.  Therefore turning the bolts on the old toilet base also turns the nuts. 

Anyone have any experience with this part of the boat?  I was planning on cutting a small inspection port to get access to the nuts.

My old red bucket is looking very attractive these days, and solves the tank problem too!