1 (edited by Bill NH 2009-10-09 09:58:36)

Topic: Anybody home?

Hello, anybody here??

I sold my Contessa a few years ago and haven't stopped by the forum for a while.  Now I'm considering another Contessa and came back here for some research, but the board seems dead...  like everybody packed up and left.  What happened?  Seemed like a thriving community a couple years ago.  I guess this is what it felt like in 1872 when they first found the Mary Celeste at sea under full sail with all the crew missing...

Re: Anybody home?

Hey Bill,

I think  the board is active -- in the sense that plenty of us are checking in.

Good news is, that depending where you are, there are several Contessa 26s for sail.

Hope you find "yours"!

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

What happened?  Limited number of Contessa 26es and how many of our owners are heavy internet users against a tidal wave of spammers.     Regardless of that, I seldom miss reading any genuine posts and check back here every couple of days when ashore.
--
Kazbek  (first year of J.R.'s production).  Thames Estuary area, UK

I still check in every other day or so - small number of Co26's changing hands = not many new questions....

Had a great summer on the Untold Want, she sails like a dream (in anything over 12 kts) and is a very well laid it little boat as long as you're not interested in standing up (who needs standing headroom on anything less than 30 feet anyways...)

I'm here! I use this site almost like a manual for my new-to-me boat.  It's great! (except for the "expletive" spam).  Anytime I have a question I just use the search feature and almost always up pops the answer.  When it doesn't, I post and someone answers.  It's great!  Perhaps most of the common newbie-type questions have been answered??

Either way, Suselle and I had a great first summer together.  I got all the bugs worked out of her and she's sailing well ....and I think I'm starting to catch on too!  Next summer I hope to get down below all set up and comfy....new stove, head, maybe a table of some sorts....been reading up and looking at the pics in the gallery.  Questions to follow as the planning continues.....
Suzeh

I am still in battle with the spambots, but in general, I think we're doing okay.

It's a small group of enthusiasts, and up until this week at least, many of them were out sailing smile

I have been toying with buying another Contessa, but I've also been toying with the idea of getting a Cape Dory 25d.

7 (edited by Bill NH 2009-10-16 09:09:13)

I'm still here too.  I suspect things will pick up after haul-out.

Christopher

Hauled out but not put to bed yet... but I do keep an eye on what's going on here almost daily

jose

Hello all,
I too am checking the forums often! Currently boatless but still interested in what everyone is doing! smile

Still here.  Busy summer etc.  Still sailing too!  Sailed in hail about a week ago.  A new experience.  Rain, snow, and hail.  Now I just need sleet!

I'm here.

With the sailing season over I will be turning my thoughts to improvements for next year. Plenty of questions to follow I am sure.

John

I admit that I do not check in as frequently.

Pulled Tess out last weekend. November was better sailing than October.

I have decided to put TESS up for sale soon.  Really time to move to something a bit roomier.

I can see myself coming back to a Contessa at a later point.

Jim

Be careful with the pursuit of something roomier!

I moved to an Alberg 29 which I adored, but the sailing wasn't any better than it was on the Contessa. I guess it depends on why you own a boat. For me, now, its not about size, its about hours spent sailing. I had a lot more good ones on the Contessa than I did on the Alberg. It was double the displacement, and double the work.

I miss my Contessa 26.

Thanks, Adrian.

Certainly a BIG fear.

I would say 60% or more of the time I sail single-handed. The CO26 is perfect for that, no question.
My wife will not overnight on her though.
Even with something roomier I am still not sure she would.

I fear that I will move up, and then regret it.

Worst case, I move back and get a newer Contessa. Mine is a '71 Rogers.
I would like a Shannon 28, but they are hard to find.

Jim

Absolutely Jim.

For me, it seems even harder. I had a newer Co26, in amazing shape, and my chances of finding one like that again are pretty slim.

That said, the Co26 is still on my short short list, along with the Cape Dory 25d and the Alberg 22.

I just can't get another big boat right now. Maybe someday, but a small 22-26 is pretty much right up my alley in terms of boat.

I love my little Contessa.  She's a well laid out 26 footer.  Sails like a dream.  Takes an hour to scrub from stem to stern.  Gets compliments everywhere I go.  Can handle any weather.  Huge cockpit for when its sunny out.  Snug down below for those October evenings.  Doesn't cost a fortune to store for the winter or dockage for the summer.  The food, drink, and view are as good as on any 40 footer.  Doesn't have a flat panel TV thats bigger than the one in most (not mine) houses.  Doesn't even have a TV.  I could go on, -  all I really want to do is spend even more time sailing....

The Contessa is a good boat for that, Stefan!

Like I said, I miss #322. She was a fine example of the breed, and sailed like a dream. I could totally single-hand her. The Alberg 29, while a lovely boat, and amazing to live aboard (Sarah and I lived aboard for a summer, it was amazing), steered like a brick in reverse, had enormous sails that required a lot of manhandling, and somehow I never felt quite as safe on her as I did on #322. And that's an Alberg-designed boat I'm talking about!

That's why I'm looking at smaller boats again. Cos I want to sail.

Jim,
If you put your CO26 up for sale, beware of the number of people that will inquire about your boat. I have 1 - 2 people ask about my boat (sent out a Questions/Answers reply) per week but have yet to get a second inquiry. This has at least let me think about my decision at least until Spring. jklee

John

Sorry to say... that ... that sounds great... would hate to see you go.

jose