Topic: Differences between Engeland and Canadian boats

Re: Differences between Engeland and Canadian boats

Yes, there's quite a difference, and I agree with Merrill, Rogers boats are a bit more robust and practical, albeit a tad more spartan.  Later JJ Taylor boats (mine) have 1" or more of headroom than the Rogers' boats, as they lowered the sole and increased the coachroof hump.  Rogers' boats have a higher companionway sill, smaller cockpit, both really good things.   Not sure about liners, likely not in oldest ones, but seem to be in newer ones.  They likely have iron keels, not lead, so that is not good.  I chose a later model (or rather, she chose me?!) as I wanted higher ballast (200lbs added in later JJ Taylor production) opening ports, more headroom, second hatch aft of mast, teak shelving and enclosures along hull and around chainplates, engine completely in engine compartment, (not into cabin at all.)  holding tank in bilge, not in forepeak! - all creature comforts really!  But as a female solo sailor, they are all nice things for me!
The hull is strong, old owner smashed her into a rock and she held up fine, just a fist sized mash on keel, no water ingress.  Hull is thick, but likely Rogers' boats have thicker glass, they do things better over there safety-wise, over here firms are too concerned about bottom line and their own liability...ok that's enough from me! ;-)

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Re: Differences between Engeland and Canadian boats

What are the differences between the Engeland and Canadian built boats?

I have seen an actual boat with a long cockpit, and a picture of a shorter cockpit with a lazarette behind, is this one of the differences?

I have read on the forum here that some boats have cockpit that bail into the bildge. Which ones are these?]

Thanks for you help.
Lukas