Topic: Lee sails Does anyone have any experience ?

Hello all

I will be buying a new mainsail this winter for my co 26. A direct replacement, no loose foot and no full main but I am planning on having 3 reef points sewn in. I received a quote from Lee sails for just under 1100$(for 2 reef points not 3 and heavy weight cloth). This is a fall special only, I suspect it will rise to about 1300$ by time time the boat show arrives.

So has anyone recently purchased a Lee sail? If so any thoughts on quality? I have read a thread here about one of the members buying a mail sail form the Kingston Sail Loft for approx 1800$. He seems to happy with his purchase. At a approx 500$ difference in purchase price I need to consider Lee over KSL, with that said I don't want to be penny wise pound foolish.

My general thought on the purchase is  the original sail lasted 25plus years so what is 500$ over the life of the sail? With that said my boat is minimally equipped so that 500$ could be put to good use. i.e VHF radio, survival suit etc.

Excuse my ramblings  mainly I am looking for input on the quality of the sails Lee is currently producing.

Thanks,
John

Re: Lee sails Does anyone have any experience ?

I wouldn't bother with 3 reef points - experience so far for me this summer, in some pretty stiff breezes, proved that reef #1 was sufficient, reef #2 would be for a hurricane.  The cost of a second reef wouldn't be worth it, especially seeing that if you have to reef you're definitely not in light airs.

Have no idea about Lee sails, I know that Andy Soper and JC do phenomenal work for the money. 

KSL is where my main and #1 are spending some time this winter for a 'checkup'.

Hi, I am indeed the one who bought the mains sail from KSL and had my main up this summer - ghreat sailing.  The great thing about KSL is that they are right there and will make any modifications you might need - I had a couple of measurements that where off and they fixed them right away by coming to the boat, so no hassel - hard to tell if you could get that kind of service form someone else.  And both Andy and John have been making sails for many years, so they are very experienced craftsmen.

Also I put in two reefing points and I agree, a third is not needednor did KSL recommend the need for one.  Plus, for the extra $500, you will not find a better hand made sail that will last for a very long time.  The expense is well worth every penny.  Part of that price also included some small fix up's with my jibs and genny. 

I did have to replace my main sail cover, which I aslo got them to do, as the sail is stiffer and cut differently then the older version.  But the cover needed replacing anyway given it was 29 years old.

So I am one very satisified customer

Cheers,

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

John,
Try the following tread "How old are your sails? " and go to page 2 and 3 where I am asking these same questions. The 2 reef is what I got but but the 2 reef points replace the 3 reef points. I actually liked the first reef, as it made life a lot more relaxing as I sailed.  jklee

Thanks for the replies everyone.

John  I will check the thread that you mentioned. The decision gets a little harder/urgent for  a couple of reasons. 
1) I was out on my last sail for the year today, leaning my elbow against the mainsail at the boom. The boat bounces over a wave and my elbow puts a 6 inch rip in the main.
2) I received a followup email from Lee sails, the quote has dropped to 1000$.

Time to get off the fence.

John

Hi John,
I'm curious to know if you ended up with a Lee sail or something else.  I'm not in the market for sails today, but over the next couple of years I suspect I will replace the main.  I've been reading opinions on Lee sails vs. other sail makers so I'm torn between ordering from Hong Kong (via a friend there) or looking locally at Genco, since I can speak to them directly and get the support I need.

At any rate, if you picked up a Lee mainsail, I'm interested to hear what you think of it.

7 (edited by john_co26 2011-06-20 15:54:17)

Hi John,
It has been two years since this post and I'm glad I asked the question two years ago.  I am now purchasing a new mainsail this fall/winter.

Do you mind if I ask how your sail is holding up now after time?

Cheers,
Jordan.

9 (edited by john_co26 2013-09-05 15:44:38)

Jordon

I wish I could give a better answer than I am but life gets in the way some times.
Looking back thru emails with Lee sails I bought the sail ready for 2010 sailing season, so;
2010 - happy with the results, see my response above.
2011 - again happy with the results.
2012 - boat stayed out of the water for the season as I tackled some long over due projects.
2013 - boat launched , I have sailed it < 6 times. Work has taken over my life sad

So, over all I have been happy with the purchase, it is a well made sail that has held it's shape(for the 2 1/2 sailing seasons I have been able to use it) and I have no regrets.  Would I do it again verses a local loft? Hard to say, but nothing in my limited experience with the sail suggests you would be dissapointed if you went with Lee sails.
For what it is worth, at the beginning and end of each season I have closely inspected the sail for defects, frayed stitching etc, putting a side a few dirt marks the sails looks brand new.

Wish I could say I have put many hours on the sail over the last 4 years and could give you a better answer. Ask me next year after the season is over, hopefully I have quite a few more sailing hours under my keel.

John

Thanks John.  Every extra bit of information is helpful as I'm starting from scratch.

I'll have to see the prices but I'll lean towards a local loft for my first sail anyway...  If it's only a couple hundred dollars different then it's justifiable to stay local.  Any hassle with a foreign sail will cost me more than that to get it resolved.  But hey, if we're talking 50% more expensive, then I definitely need to look off-shore.