1 (edited by Virago Deb 2009-10-14 15:49:30)

Topic: where do you step your mast?

Ok, ok, on the cabin roof, I know....but what I mean is, on Virago there is a plate on the coach roof where the foot of the mast is stepped. There are two choices of where to pin the mast, one hole ahead of the mast and one hole behind.   The wear marks suggest that the pin has always been in the forward hole, which sets the foot of the mast in a slightly forward position.  What do others do with this model of JJT boat?  I've always stepped the mast the way it's always been stepped, but I'm open for change.  What are you finding is best?

2 (edited by john_co26 2009-10-14 14:22:09)

Re: where do you step your mast?

Virago

For what it is worth....
I have never pinned my mast. I drop it into the recess and set the stays/shrouds. You have me thinking I had better take a close look when I drop the mast this fall.

John
1979 co 26

Panic not!  Your boat is older than mine and the older boats have a different mast step - one that does not require a pin.

Go to the photo gallary and under search type in "Mast Step" I thing that will answer your question. jklee

5 (edited by Virago Deb 2009-10-20 18:02:33)

I guess this topic is drifting into something that shoud have been under the "Performance" heading...To clarify the question, has anyone stepped their mast using the aft position and, if so, how much difference does it make to the balance of your boat? Any? Lots? None?  I know mast rake and sail trim factor into this, but generally speaking, has anyone monkeyed around with mast step position?