Topic: Diesel odor in cabin

Acquired nu. 305 May 2009 and enjoyed a great season of sailing. FESSALO being an older boat I tolerated a certain amount of fuel odor. However I replaced the kerosene Force 10 which leaked a bit. The smell persisted. Checked the fuel tank for leaks...it was ok. I noticed however that it was not vented to the original vent leading outside on port side. I presume that some previous owner had trouble with water entering the tank while on a lean. Would this be possible. The vent tubes were redirected to the engine compartment. I believe that this is the source of the odor filtering through to the cabin. Any advice on how to correct this?
I'm new to this forum and I've learned a lot going through all the corresponce. Thanks  a lot and keep up the good work.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

Re: Diesel odor in cabin

My vent line runs up (inside) to the top of the cockpit coaming under the winch mount. It then slopes downhill aft to the transom and through the hull there. I have never had any water get in.

My vent runs the same way on my 1976 and when I replaced the hoses I added a loop to prevent water from passing down the vent and into the tank.

For the smell, I have done three things which have been successful.

The first was that I replaced the two engine compartment passive air scoops that are on the deck on either side of the tiller.  I went with active solar powered vents.  The goal was to get air from the bilge and engine compartment moving away from the cabin.  Solar vents are great -- install them and forget them.  On one of the vents I connected a 4" duct to ensure that it draws air from the lower bilge.  The other draws from its base, directly below the deck.

My second job was to clean all surfaces in the bilge and engine compartment.  The occasional fuel and oil drips over the years had made the whole area dirty and smelly.  A strong degreaser and stiff brushes right to the bottom of the bilge worked for me.  And you have to clean the engine too.  As an aside, it was interesting to see how much paint came loose.

The third smell strategy was to eliminate the source of the smell by switching to biodiesel.  Fuels have been been well discussed elsewhere in the forum but 100% bio-diesel (B-100) has been a good choice for me and might help you too.  If going after the smell, don't bother with biodiesel blends -- to get the effect it's an all-or-nothing strategy. 

Good luck!  Getting the fuel smells out of the boat is a huge step in improving its habitability.  I am so pleased that the blankets no longer stink of diesel...

Christopher

I would'nt put a loop in a fuel vent,because as I learned the hard way,if any water  ever gets in or the fuel backs up into the loop while healed ,there will be a vacum lock ,which will allow the fuel to draw down a little,at which point the engine starves for fuel.This was a real mystery at the time,so looking everywhere for answers looked at boat plans and saw that air vents always rise,and I understand why now.

Christopher

E-mail me and tell me more about this biodiesel... I'm concerned about my 85 Buhk being able to withstand it... pump, seal, rubber etc... would they be able to survive the new diesel.

jose

That's an interesting question. My gut reaction is to say that most diesels will run fine with biodiesel. But that's my gut.

I'll see if I can find any information about it around the nets.

Thanks for all the info. My mate will surely be happy to see me put my gift certificate towards a solar vent.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool