1 (edited by john_co26 2010-01-05 17:55:38)

Topic: Got my marina bill in the mail today

Hello all

I live in Kingston ON and keep my co26 at Portsmouth Olympic Harbour(POH), a city run marina.  In the past I have been billed by the foot, i.e
250$ plus dollars to drop the boat in the water and the slip, for the season, cost me 49$ x the length of the boat
49x26 = 1274$

The city has changed it's policy, starting this year it is 51$ x the length of the slip or the length of the boat which ever is greater. My slip is 36 feet in length. So....
51x36 = 1836$

That is a 30-40% increase, YIKES!!! The majority of slips in POH  are 36 feet in length so even if I could change slips, which I can't cause there are too few of them. They are lay'ed out is such a way to make them unpractical for full keel sailboats. Not enough room to back out safely.

It is what it is, I can't change it and I will pay the bill but I am curious about other people's experience? Am I wrong to be piss'ed about this? The guys at work have little sympathy. In their minds I am renting a parking spot so  the length of the boat isn't relevant. Ok I can make that argument yet I can not get passed the fact I am getting worked over by the city.

So how does it work at your marina, are you being charged by the slip or boat length?

John

p.s Adrian  what ever you did to improve the website has worked, in the past it has taken  30 sec to 1 minute to post a thread/response, this one took all of 2 seconds, well done.

Re: Got my marina bill in the mail today

I don't have a slip to be charged for right now, but I remember when I had my Alberg 29, I was paying for the 34 foot slip it was in. When I had my Contessa 26, I was paying for the 30 foot slip it was in. I think it's pretty standard, at least around Toronto.

Glad the performance is improved. Always aiming to please smile

Perfect timing, I just got my bill to - I keep my boat at Collins Bay and about two years ago they swicthed from the specific boat length to a set length's so my Contessa 26 is in the catgory of a boat 29 feet and under.

So for everthing - launch, mast stepping, summer docking and summer cradle storage the total with tax is
$1,903.13.  It is times like this that I am glad my Contessa is only a 26.

I remember in the early 80's when Portsmouth was actively subsidized by the city and the federal government and it was dirt cheap to keep a boat there.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

4 (edited by john_co26 2010-01-07 16:08:10)

Adrian/Ivan

Thanks for the replies. Looks like my bill is not far off the norm. In total  taxes, slip,  summer trailer storage and drop in,  the total bill is just shy of 2300$
It's been said that  April is the cruelest month, I beg to differ, January always hits me hard. Summer is a distant memory and the spring is to too far off to think too seriously about.
At least I have the boat show smile

Ivan 
Your co26, is it the blue one at Collins Bay? If so you keep a very neat and tidy boat, The deck looks like it is a week old, straight out of the factory.

John

For a summer slip at Gan Municipal it runs me 1300
Haul, Launch, Mast step in spring and unstep in fall, cradle storage in summer is just shy of 1000 at IMS

So 2300 for a full year.  I'm glad it's only 26 feet long

At the same time, what other (fun) hobbies can you do for 2300 a year

It's kind of scary to start doing the maths, isn't it?

That's why I simply choose not to wink

Hi John - yep my CO 26 is the blue one.  Thanks for the compliment - I was lucky, given when my dad had her right out of the factory in 1980 he kept her pristine and so I have tried to follow that tradition ; -)

Cheers,

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I am in a city marina. You pay a fee in ranges. 25 to 28ft = $1535. (just the slip) Boat length includes all extensions. bow pulpit to self-steering gear.

The scary number is what you get when you take the total cost of owning and running the boat for the season and divide by the number of days actually sailing.  Or even more painful is to divide by the number of hours actually spent on the water.  And if you factor in a rate for your time...  Ouch.

Well  I feel like I owe someone an apology, over the last 2 weeks the city has sent out two letters, the first stating they are amending the cost structure the second containing the amended bill. The new cost? All in 1750$ Which works out to be 52$ a foot for my 26 foot contessa plus drop in and cradle storage fees. 550$ less than the first bill. Interestingly there are 2 city run marinas in town, Portsmouth, where I keep my boat, and Confed Basin. A guy at work keeps his 27 foot motorboat at confed and he has not received an amended bill.

John

Hey John, what does your winter storage run at Portsmouth

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

ivan

I am struggling to find the paperwork from last year, once I find it  I will report back.

John

Ivan

Total bill for winter storage last year was 546$ plus tax;    21$ per ft * 26 feet.

John

Wow - that is a good deal - Collins bay is running me about $780.00 plus tax.

Thanks for the info.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

It is around $4800 in chicago for thirthy five foot slip

It is $1,000 for my 25' dock with electric and water at Dunkirk, NY.  They are relaxed about  the lenght, as I have a windvane also. Though the place has been up for salle for the past year or so. jklee

I know it looks very promising - I hope to be down there first weekend of April to start getting Morava ready.

Fingers crossed the weather keeps going the way it has.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266