1 (edited by KodiakGirl 2010-03-31 21:17:17)

Topic: For Sale 2005 Ziem Sailboat Trailer in Bellingham, WA $3500

For Sale 2005 Ziem Sailboat Trailer in Bellingham, WA  $3500

Hello all,
well I bought the 1986 JJ Taylor Contessa 26 for sale in Florida. I actually saw it on ebay, and contacted the owner’s agent when it didn’t sell. I bought it and had it towed to Bellingham thru Uship.   I did my research and found a wonderful couple very professional and friendly to do the move, SnL Transport. They had low bid for $2700 Hernando beach Florida to Bellingham, WA.   The boat and trailer are both currently in a storage facility in Bellingham, Washington.
I hope to launch the boat by April 10th, and sell the trailer by April 15th.  Therefore, I am putting it up ahead of time. If anyone is interested, but doesn’t want to buy it sight unseen, I will be in Bellingham April 2 to the 15th and can show it then. 

The Details:

Never been in salt water before, only used on lakes.  Its only salt water time will be when I launch my boat.
Tires new in Oct 2007 have about 5500 miles on them: Ohio to Tx to Fl to Wa
There are 6 Tires total, 4 on trailer & 2 spares- the 4 on trailer for sure have bearing buddies for greasing the bearings, not sure about the 2 spares. (I can check when I go down to Bellingham)
Had the tail lights replaced in Florida, and all lights worked fine all the way Florida to Washington
4 wheel disc surge brakes
24 ft tongue/rod extension with wheels
Currently has a Texas license plate, the tags are expired.
This trailer does not have a VIN #, it was not required in Ohio or Texas (two previous registrations). However it is required in Alaska and Washington to get a new registration, and possibly other states. So, after launching the boat, I am getting the trailer weighed with a weight certification slip,(required to get a VIN) then I have an inspection lined up April 15 to get a VIN #  assigned to the trailer. It seems there is only one trooper who can do this in Bellingham, Thursdays only, so I had to make an appointment a month ahead!
I will leave it up to the buyer to get a new license plate and registration, but this will make it a lot easier if that person is from a state that requires a VIN #.
There is no rubber or padding on the lower metal slot that the bow sits in (not the red one) -I used small rubber and heavy woven floor mats for this trip, however once the boat is off something more efficient and permanent could be affixed. Otherwise it gouges the bow pretty bad (as my poor boat will attest!)
The small metal pole on the STARBARD side is the boom to the sailboat & does not go with the trailer. The metal pole on the PORT side is the trailer tongue extension, which also has a set of smaller wheels on a frame, to support the tongue extension.
There is a bit of rust here & there on the trailer, mostly undersides. All in all, the trailer seems to be in good condition, and has just made a 3000 mile trip in which the movers said everything worked fine.
Please email me at  dustylane2@hotmail.com  for more photos if you are interested, and if you have any questions I will do my best to answer them. Right now I have no photos of the trailer without the boat on it, but I do have some more detailed & close up shots. 

I will accept Cash, Money Orders, or Paypal for payment or down payment of the trailer. I will provide the previous two owner’s registrations, a copy of the weight slip, the paper that declares the new VIN #(once I get it), and of course a Bill of Sale. If someone prebuys it sight unseen, I can leave a blank space in the bill of sale for the VIN, and fill it in once I get it. (I can fax you & then mail the documents & bill of sale). OR you can get the trailer (if prebought) as soon as the boat is launched and take it to the VIN inspection yourself. I wish to leave Bellingham by April 20th or thereabouts & have the trailer sold before then (by the 15th if possible).

I posted photos at General Images, labelled 2005 Ziem Sailboat trailer by KodiakGirl #1, #2, #3  (photos # 94, 95 & 96). Thanks for looking smile Dusty

2 (edited by KodiakGirl 2010-03-21 17:05:45)

Re: For Sale 2005 Ziem Sailboat Trailer in Bellingham, WA $3500

Hello again all!
I just wanted to say, the price I have listed here is my ASKING price. I believe the trailer is worth that, however as I previously stated, there is no bumper for that metal notch the bow sits in, also there is no post with winch on it in the front. I would be willing to consider reasonable offers if someone  is really interested- anything between $2000 and the $3500 asking price. otherwise it will have to go back in storage. When I get to Bellingham its going up on Craigslist, I just wanted to give you all a chance at it first. sorry if my posts are patchy, I have so much trying to do before I head down & KNOW when I get there its going to be much more busy! Add to that frequently SLOW internet connections (you gotta love Kodiak!) and its a wonder I haven't stuck my head in the sand like an ostrich. of course most the sand has been frozen lately.....
Anyways, for a Contessa Owner or wanna-be, I am willing to lower the price some, see above guidelines. Sorry I just can't go lower than that! If you need a trailer but can't pick it up until a later date, we may be able to enter into an agreement as well- fax it back & forth etc. 
I saw a Zieman (same as Ziem? not sure...) full keel sailboat tandem axle trailer for sale on Craigslist in the San Francisco area, in fall of 2009.  it was a 1995 and had no spare tires, but it had the tongue extension same as mine, and this one had a post on the front with a winch & also had not been in salt water.  the owner was asking $3000 obo. not sure if it ever sold, the # was (707) 263-7397 or (707) 245-7835 ask for Keith
I will try & get some more photos up of mine as well, same place as the others. you can ask questions on this thread too, but after tomorrow I may only be able to check it once/day. Carpe Diem!! ;D

Got all the photos I have of the trailer uploaded, in General Images.

Re: For Sale 2005 Ziem Sailboat Trailer in Bellingham, WA $3500

Hello all,
An update on the trailer: It seems while the previous owner was away out of country, the person handling his mail renewed the registration! So the tags will be current and good for another year at least (prev. owner is mailing me the current tags & reg). What this means is, of course, that if someone buys it they can tow it away toot sweet, before having to re-register it. I head down to Bellingham April 1 and start hatching plans to launch the boat- hopefully the trailer will be available by the 10th of April, if anyone is interested. I am also looking at $2500 as a more realistic starting price, it is a good trailer but it would take someone a bit to weld on a winch post and also fix something onto that front metal part thats bare (that gouges the trailer). I would also consider a payment plan, kind of like renting except that by the last payment you would own the trailer and I would be done with it. I'd much rather have that than put it back into storage. As soon as I get to Bellingham and get organized I'm putting it up on Bellingham Craigslist (but without the payment plan! craigslist brings in a lot of wierdos....) If you'd rather discuss it over the phone than by email, my number is 907-539-6434 please leave a message & I'll get back to you as I will be on the phone ALOT with all the logistics to launch the boat, set up the mast etc.
If it doesn't sell it will be fine in storage till a need arises, however it will then have $800 added on the price tag, as that is about what it costs to fly Kodiak to Bellingham round trip, especially just to sell a trailer!
smile