Topic: Alternator on Farmann K30M??

The refit for Lolly Jo continues as schedules.  So far, no plan to change out the Farymann K30M, which seems to run quite well.  However, I have hit a snag in my rewiring, as I am not sure how this engine delivers power to the batteries, as it appears to have no alternator.  There is a existing positive lead from the starter which I suspect acts as a generator of some sort of voltage to top up batteries when running. 

Can anyone explain how this works?  What kind of amps are generated, and how does this compare to the output of an alternator?

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

Re: Alternator on Farmann K30M??

My understanding is that the magneto which is incorporated with the flywheel assembly transmits ~14.2-14.6 volts to the voltage regulator.  There appears to be a common + wire from the regulator to the starter motor thru the battery switch to the battery.  I think the primary function of the electrical system is to provide power to the instruments rather than to be considered a means to recharge the battery(s) on your boat.  I learned the regulator had failed on Troyka when the Tach quit.  If my memory serves me Shannon had an alternator installed on the shaft of her Contessa that would generate 20 amps or so even when under sail as long as the shaft was allowed to turn.  Hope this helps.

This helps a great deal.  Thanks!  I"ll be looking into shaft alternators next...

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

I have talked with an Electrical Engineer friend of mine, who is going to help me figure out how to mount a pulley, and install a shaft alternator.  With luck, I may be able to generate 30 amps or better...  Will post my findings here.

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC