Topic: LF: Trailer

Looking for a trailer for Co26 or something that can I can modify to fit.  Electric or surge brakes doesnt really matter, must be a tandem though....

Re: LF: Trailer

I was looking at flatbed equipment haulers as an alternative.  I already have a steel cradle so it seemed to be less costly to find a used flatbed and haul everything around with it.  Good hunting!

only problem is then the boat sits super high, with a proper trailer with drop axles you can squeeze it in almost anywhere

I was thinking about this problem -- if one uses Torflex axles, the frame sits much lower -- so much so that a flat structure like my cradle could sit almost as low as it might be possible with drop axles.

The cheap and cheerful trailer therefore consists of my cradle, a couple of Torflex axles and a tongue.  I could stiffen the cradle as necessary without much effort (read $$$).

My question lies in its width.  My cradle measures just 52.5 inches wide.  Bolting axles to it might yield a trailer less than 80 inches wide overall.  Is this too narrow?  I am not certain.  Were the boat being trucked, the cradle and the boat would be lifted onto a flat bed trailer and away they would go.  Is it necessary to have a wide trailer for road use when the cradle suffices for trucks?  Google has not yet answered this one unfortunately.

My cradle is  44" tall, 52" wide, 111" long. When using a cradle on a trailer remember that there are two types of cradles. Storage and transport. The storage cradles are designed to mainly hold the boat up. Most of the weight sits on the keel. A transport cradle needs to resist much more side loads when going around corners.
The trailer I used was the standard maximum width. I forget the max allowed on the road without a special permit, but I think the beam of the boat was a little wider than th trailer. When on the trailer, the load looks very top heavy but with 50% of the mass in the keel the center is gravity is really only about 3 feet above the bottom of the keel.

Thanks for that -- it sounds like we have similar Marine Cradle Shop cradles.  I remember when I ordered the thing I pushed a heavy duty version and was discouraged -- in hindsight I should have pushed harder.  Mine is the same width but 121" long.  The main beams are channels 5x1.75.  This is one of my problems -- I fear that it might not be stiff enough for the weight supported with axles. 

Anyway, with respect to the transport cradle vs. storage cradle, your point is well taken and I will have to think about how to manage this.  Courtesy of Google I have learned that the most restrictive province for trailers is Alberta:  Maximum trailer width: 2.6 meters (8 feet 5 inches).  Maximum trailer height: 3.85 meters (12 feet 6 inches).  Maximum trailer length:  12.5 meters (41 feet).  Other provinces allow taller trailers and length is not a problem.

I guess I am trying to figure out if I can build a trailer for under $2k, given that the pros are all saying $5k.  Axles and brakes, wheels, lights, etc. are about $1000 based on what I have found on-line, so the unknown cost is the steel frame.  Using Torsion axles allows one to use a simple flat frame and not a drop frame as is required with leaf springs.  Should be very simple to build.  Note the operative word SHOULD. 

I guess I need to chase down a welder...

Nice winter dream project -- thanks for the input.

I would wager that one could build a trailer for 1500-2000.  MCS is pricey.  My brother got a quote for a simple 4 pad cradle for his CC24, delivered to iroquois would have been nearly 2200$!!!!  I measured something similar, ordered the steel and we started on a Sunday afternoon.  Worked 2 evenings together, 1 on my own, and Saturday till noon, by Sunday at 9am his boat was resting nicely on her new home (much better than stands).  Used 2x4 rectang tube (not c channel).  Total cost was ~680 incl all steel, hardware, plywood, threaded rod and big nutz for the pads, carpet, all welding consumables and a can of chromate primer for the welds.  Not including beer....  Thats a far cry from 2200!

That's great Stefan!  Now all I need is someone I can pay in beer and scintillating conversation to do the welding for me! 

You can see why I am keen to recycle my cradle -- the stands and pads are already there, as is much of the supporting steel.  Alternatively, I start from scratch and sell the cradle to finance this effort.

This is a fun project to think about this winter.  I want to sail my boat down to the Maritimes and am thinking a trailer to get it home is better than trying to buck the current in the St. Lawrence on my way back upstream to Montreal.  Sail downhill and drive back up...