Topic: engine compartment hatches

My contessa does not have an inboard engine and I don't plan to put one in. However I would like the access hatches for easy access to storage. Someone previouse to me has semi permanantly sealed off the previouse engine room access hatches in the cockpit by laying a heavy bead of 4200 sealant around the edges and screing the hatch covers down. I am removing that now cuz I'd like easy access to that storage area, was wondering how it is usually rigged for boats with engines where it is sealed from water that comes in the cockpit but also easily accessible for engine service.
What kind of gasket and fasteners are used to keep the hatch down and water tight while remaining removable when needed?

Re: engine compartment hatches

I believe mine had eight long machine screws holding it down against a rather large rubber gasket.

Unfortunately I don't have a picture that demonstrates this.

On my boat the panel is secured by about a dozen twist fasteners (1/2 turn to release) and a rubber seal prevents water from passing between the panel and the boat.

I would probably install heavy duty plastic deck plates in the large fibreglass panel.  The panel could then be secured permanently and the deck plates used to access the storage area below.  The deck plates will be easier to open and easier to handle than is he large panel.  Large sturdy deck plates are on eBay all the time at low cost. 

I know there is great debate about the merits of inboard or outboard engines but were it me, I would be watching the classifieds here and picking up a used inboard for the boat.  I believe it to be a great convenience and will enhance the resale value of the boat.

Christopher