Topic: Mainsail dual-sheeting system

Hi folks. I am ASKEW's new skipper, a 1974 co26. Just got her three weeks ago. And now I am a new member of this illustrious group.
The boat came with a dual-sheeting system to handle the mainsail -- an inverted V with each leg going to each side of the stern. Since I am unfamiliar with this type of system I would like to hear from you on its pros and cons. Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks.
-John-

2 (edited by john_co26 2010-09-10 16:06:44)

Re: Mainsail dual-sheeting system

picard

I have the same setup on my co26, it is, I believe, the default setup for Canadian made boats. I am not sure what you mean by dual setup? On my boat the main sheet is "connected" to the deck in two places creating the V shape. But, I can only sheet in or release the main sheet from the port side. It is  simple setup(good) that is out of the way while sailing but I have a couple of complaints
- The cleat block to set and release the main sheet sets low to the deck and releasing the main sheet in an emergency is a problem
- The V setup makes getting to the stern a hassle
- When broad reaching or running the main sheet rubs against  the life line at the point it connects to the rear pulpit causing friction when sheeting in or releasing, as well as wear on the main sheet.

Not an ideal setup but it is simple and strong so I have no plans to change anything with the exception of raising the cleat block a couple of inches in the hopes of making it easier for me to release the main quickly when things go bad.

just my 2 cents

John

p.s welcome aboard

Hi Picard:

I also have the same sheeting system on my 1974, and have experienced the same problems that John has.  The mainsheet block and cam cleat on my boat are mounted on a square wooden pedestal on the port side that raises them off the deck by about 3", just enough for the bitter end of the mainsheet to clear the cockpit coaming.  This is just my first season with Ephesus, and I don't know whether the pedestal was installed by a former owner or by J.J. Taylor.  I suspect the former.  However, I didn't experience much problem releasing the mainsheet when required, except that it required quite a jerk of the arm.  There's another Contessa at my marina with the same mainsheet set-up.  He doesn't have a pedestal on his boat.  Instead, he has the mainsheet cam and block on a hefty lanyard that appears to be about 6 - 8 " long attached to a sutstantial eye on deck behind the port corner of the cockpit.  This 'floats' it above the cockpit coaming and probably makes it easier for him to cleat and uncleat his mainsheet. 

Prior to sailing season this year, I decided to replace the original mainsheet blocks at deck level  on the starboard and port sides  with  larger Garhauer blocks on a swivel.  Bad idea.  The swivel on the starboard side tends to eventually twist while I'm sailing so that the mainsheet also ends up twisted on that side.  It didn't do the same on the port side because it led from that block to the block and cam. I'm going to replace the new block on the starboard side with the same block I took off which still works well.  I'll do the same on the port side since the swivel wasn't really necessary on that side anyway, and so that both blocks will be the same.  That was a costly experiment. 

As with John, I also find that the mainsheet rubs on the gate latches for my lifelines where where they connect to the stern rail.  I turned each latch around so that they open on the outside, so at least the mainsheet doesn't  get caught in the latch and chafe as badly.  Still, a bit of clear hose over the latch that can be slid off and along the lifeline when it's time to open the gates might fix the problem altogether.  I just haven't got around to it yet.

I know some owners have installed travellers on their boats, and I wondered if that might offer any advantages over the original system that we have.  I had a traveller on the Bluenose that I owned prior to Ephesus so my current mainsheet setup was new to me as well.  As far as I can tell, the port and starboard blocks give the same advantage as moving a traveller car to leeward to increase sail twist.  However, I can't honestly say that being able to move the traveller to windward in lighter air or to power up through waves or chop would have made my boat sail faster.  Someone with a better grasp of physics or with more sailing experience than I might be better able to comment. 

Cheers.

Carolyn

The main sheet arrangement on my 1976 Contessa starts at the end of the boom, down to the deck to port, then back to the boom and down to the deck on starboard (creating the A shape bridging the tiller) and then back to the boom end where it turns, runs under the boom all the way to the mast, then down to the deck at the mast base and finally across the cabin top to a cam cleat.  It is not fast to release nor is it intuitive but it does work and makes the mainsheet more central. 

I have seen a number of ways to manage the main sheets on our boats none of which seems to be ideal.  It makes for a pleasant doodle during a boring meeting though.  I think it would be cool to hide all the tackle inside the boom.

My friend cPaul just installed a traveller on his boat Lolly Jo and loves it.  I KNOW he will post here in due course to tell everyone about it.

Here is a question though.  My current arrangement is a 4:1 tackle.  Paul's new one is a 2-speed Speed-Sheet system that gives him a choice of 2:1 and 6:1 advantage.  (Paul correct me if I am wrong).  I only need the 4:1 level of mechanical advantage when close-hauled.  On a reach or a run I can pull the boom with little effort.  (Try it when you next sail.)  In order to provide 4:1 advantage for the whole range of movement of the boom A LOT of rope is required.  So here is my question to those of you who sail in far worse conditions than I:  do I need 4:1 or 6:1 advantage through the whole range of motion of the boom?  Assuming not, then I should be able to cook up something that gives the boom range of movement and has appropriate loading on the sheets for the whole range.  Hmmmm.  More doodles.

Christopher

5 (edited by picard 2010-09-14 10:21:28)

Hey picard

If I understand you correctly you have two "block and tackles"(did I get the term right?) on your mainsheet setup. you might consider removing one. If you have enough rope/line you could use one for the mainsheet and the second for your boom vang. I can't think of an advantage to having two mainsheets but perhaps others will proof me wrong.

Just a thought,
John

John
I Had that same idea, but on friend of mine, a ex-Contessa owner, told me that he had exactly the same system on his boat. And the only suggestion from him was, and I quote --  "You might want to sail Askew as she is and then decide whether to add the boom-vang. One thing you'll probably have to do is to make an arrangement to hold the block up off the deck at either side of the mainsheet system so that they don't flop around striking the deck whenever you're in light winds. I found that annoying on my Contessa and I seem to recall that I had short lengths of line attached to the blocks and then to the lifelines to keep them off the deck."
... and life goes on. Cheers.

I bought stainless springs for my boat to support the blocks.  At less than $2 each they were the cheapest thing at the Chandlers'!

I saw a nifty arrangement on a Contessa named Blue Peter last summer.  The boat is based in Charlottetown but I do not believe that her owner Peter is on this board yet.  I've posted a picture in the Technical Gallery.  Further to my last on this subject, an arrangement like this would allow a relatively simple 1:1 or 2:1 sheet with the heavy work done by the two traveller legs.  That is 4:1 or 6:1 on each of the two legs.

Cheers!

Christopher

Whilst idly strolling round the marina this morning and wondering about the main sheets going port and starboard from the rear of the boom and what a pain it is to get to the bbq on the rail over the rudder I noticed both c&c 27`s and some Niagaras had the same set up with the A pattern  but blocks on either side of the coach roof attatched to the mid section of the boom has anybody tried this   Phil

my little brothers c&c 24 has this setup - duallys to pad eyes on either side of the coachroof.  i'm running dual 4:1'a to each padeye on the deck (rear cockpit corners) and seems to work well.  havn't had to add a boom vang cause you can pull the boom down.....   i've been toying with the idea of adding a set of eyes to the coachroof to be able to add a small bimini to give the poor helmsman (me!) some shade.....

1974 Contessa do have that dual sheeting system . and it is pretty reliable .

[url=http://electronicbookreadingdevice.com/475/the-autobiography-of-benjamin-franklin/]The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin[/url]

12 (edited by Shannon, yeah, me! 2010-12-24 01:20:27)

Ok, I am an idiot, I totally forgot how my traveller was! It was on the stern and am actually having to edit this post...

Traveller was on a really nice stainless mount with two legs per side, and the setup was easy for singlehanding and dumping wind, and held the boom down nicely, as it was quite aft.  Just make sure the blocks are attached well to the boom, wow, I would have to look on my old laptop for pics...if I even have any...it was five years ago......

Overall, my old Rhiannon had a very nice traveller setup, there is a picture on Tech Notes, the pic is from her as "L'Epice", also mistakenly shown as Verxue or something like that while sailing heeled over...

Getting rid of the small blocks on the transom deck allows you to rig a jackline, as well as bimini clips to those pad-eyes, tie the boom off in harbour, etc.! ;-)

And, the traveller and support that it needs on the transom deck make a great seating area for vision-fanatics like me while motoring!  Although hard on the little butt, it is a perfect place to watch and steer while motoring.

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

And yes, a boom vang is very good if you like sailing in lots of wind, lol...

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”