Topic: Yanmar Diesel for a Contessa

I would love to hear from any Contessa owner who has a Yanmar engine; to assist me with information on proper engine size, horsepower etc.

My boat has the hatch in the cockpit to allow me great access to the engine, thats a great start.

However I am planning on replacing the 6.6 Petter with a Yanmar and would like to know what Yanmar model will fit and install easilt. ( I am an optimist) 
I am lookng at new or used and the  engine 1GM10 and 2GM207 have been mentioned. 
I assume a single or twin cylinder is going to work and I assume that the Horse Power should be at least 8 - 10 and how many horses is too high for a Contessa.

So if you have any thoughts or have a Yanmar engine I would love to know the model and Hsp so I can shop.  I have found several engines across Canada (used) and they range from 8 -18 HP, But what fits??? 
Additionally if someone has a Yanmar for sale please let me know.
Thanks

Paul

Re: Yanmar Diesel for a Contessa

I had a 1980 Contessa with an 8hp Arouna diesel.
I wanted the biggest engine I could get for a replacement.
My Yanmar dealer was willing to install a larger (two cylinder 18hp)engine but I would have to lose cabin and cockpit space.
I installed the one cylinder 10 hp Yanmar 1GM 10 with a new transmission. I had to glass in new motor mounts but the 1GM10 fit the old enclosure under the cockpit floor. I am very happy with it.
I get 5-6 knots at 2,800-3000 revs and she drinks about one quart of diesel fuel per hour. The alternator keeps two batteries well charged.
I installed a new 10 gallon plastic fuel tank under the starboard seat that I can remove and clean myself when needed.
Happy boy!
toots

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Absolutely love my little 1gm10.  sips fuel, runs pretty smooth at cruise, does shake the top of the mast at idle...  easy to work on and doesn't intrude on the cabin at all.

A 1GM10 + a three bladed prop will make useful progress to windward in any conditions you would want to be out in and has enough power to 'dodge' to windward in a gale at an average of 0.5 - 1 knot flat out in any sea-state up to more than sufficient to roll the boat, so can keep you off a lee shore for as long as the fuel and helmsman hold out. (BTDT till the tide turned). 

Installation is fairly simple as such things go for anyone experienced. Assuming existing engine beds in approximately the right place and a pre-existing suitable shaft, you could even get away with doing it afloat! 

If you already have a diesel fuel system, single lever control, waterlift exhaust etc. you could be pleasantly surprised how easy it is.  The control panel and idiot lights are so simple you could probably splice into the loom to your existing panel.

The Yanmar mounts are pretty soft and it does bounce around a fair bit.  Beware of stress on your shaft seal, you may want to add a plummer block or other mid-shaft bearing + a flexible coupling. 

Aftermarket mounts, shielded for oil resistance and that do NOT require lock-wiring for blue water use (unlike Yanmar ones) and approx 1/2" lower profile are available from R&D Couplings for approximately 1/4 the price of the Yanmar ones.  You may even come out ahead if selling on a brand new set of Yanmar mounts.
They are a bit stiffer so more resonances, but not a problem as long as you don't keep it running at the resonant speed for long. 

You can actually set the idle low enough to get 'dead slow' as your minimum speed in gear for ferry-gliding against only 1Kt of tide/current. (Hint: adjust the control so the throttle doesn't start to pick up till you are out of the detent for slow ahead/astern for better controllability.) Up to 100RPM less than the official idle speed should work fine, just tune it to avoid unwanted resonances at idle.  Don't go more than 50RPM on the high side to avoid excessive gearbox wear when engaging gear.