Topic: Stuffing Box (and more?)

Hi skippers. Me again.
My recently acquired co26 has been on the hard for about four years.
Question: should I repack the stuffing box before she goes in the water next Spring? Would the flax be all dried up (surely it is) and does that mean that it MUST be replaced, or it all be OK again when I launch?
Anything else I should check? The Yanmar is all winterized and put to sleep. I am going to replace the thermostat, impeller and filters. The diesel tank is clean of goo, etc.
Thanks
picard

Re: Stuffing Box (and more?)

It is cheap to replace and much easier when out of the water.

picard, I hope you don't mind me throwing in my own questions rather than starting a new thread...

My stuffing box leaks about 5-7 drops per minutes when at dock. I have noticed that even when the weather is fair(no rain) I start to accumulate water in the bilge quicker than I would like. I know that the packing has not been replaced for at least 10 years and I suspect it is original.

Can the stuffing box be adjusted(tightened)? I know it can but should that only happen immediately after it has been newly stuffed?
How much water should it allow into the hull?
Any one have experience in replacing it?

Thanks,
John

Mine is the type with a greased 1/4" rope material that is squished by a nut like thing. Sometimes it will leak a bit after launch in the spring. I just tighten down the nut a bit. I check to make sure that it is not too tight by turning the shaft by hand. If the stuffing material is too old then this may not work. It is not a big job to replace it every 5 or so years. You just need two big wrenchs and a dental type pic to get the old stuff out. It is better to do it on the hard, since it will be running like a tape once you remove the old stuff and if you have problems getting the new stuff in then you can not take a trip to the store or think about it over night without the risk of sinking the boat.

firm believer in the volvo penta shaft seal.....

Hi, My stuffing box drips also even when shaft is not turning. I've read it should drip a little when running and not when engine is not running. Is that so? I haven't got around to replacing the stuffing yet but did pick up the material...project for next spring. A friend did his with 1/4 in. but found out that it was too tight to fit properly. Seems that 3/16 in is the proper size for a 7/8 in shaft.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

Hi Stephan  whats the info etc on the volvo shaft seal ?  my stuffing box leaks pretty much as well  Phil

if you search back though the forums theres some discussion on this

volvo penta shaft seal is a double lip seal / cutless bushing, that you pack with waterproof grease that clamps to the stern tube.  works great, no drips, no graphite dust, no vent line.   used on most beneteaus, jeanneaus, some hunters etc.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

Dripless shaft seals are the greatest, especially for those of us who do not like water inside the boat, lol...I like to keep the bilges clean and dry, so no water dripping in is most desirable.  You do have to grease the dripless shaft, as instead of water lubricating it the most, (it does use some water, but it goes through, not out...you need something to keep it cool.

Yes, mine on Rhiannon was a shaftseal, and we will do the same on "the new boat"....just make sure the rubber housing does not get compromised...I believe an extra piece of rubber is the best safety net, lol...

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”