Topic: solar panel for bilge pump

has anyone had any success with a solar panel running the bilge pump?

Re: solar panel for bilge pump

It makes sense to use a small solar panel to keep the batteries topped up if not on shorepower for charging. The bilge pump should be wired to the batteries in the normal manner.

I was wondering in general terms how successful this can be and if anyone had any advice.  I hooked up my rule which has the self sensing built in, it is a small one I believe 500 gph. I came back to the boat after a torrential rain to flat batts and a full bilge. My guess is my system just got overwhelmed.  I have new deep cycle batts and a 10 watt panel. Any thoughts?

I am curious about the source of water ingress.  My bilge is usually pretty dry with the exception of the usual drip from the stern tube.  Where is your leak?

My boat has always had water in it after heavy rains. I don't really know how it happens only that is after very heavy rains. I suspect the cockpit drains get overwhelmed and water comes in under the hatch boards.

My Contessa has two small dorade vents on the stern to provide vent air to the engine room. I usually keep both vents facing forward. A wind driven rain from the right direction will go down these two vents and fill up the bilge.
I have learned to tie plastic grocery bags over these dorades when I expect heavy rains. That solves the problem.
I only set my bilge pump on automatic when I expect to be away from the boat for a spell or when we get hurricane conditions. Normally I want to know how much water is coming in. Automatic bilge pumps can conceal a problem leak.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Automatic bilge pumps should ideally have an hourmeter monitoring them.  The cheapest/simplest is an analog 12V clock.  Just wire it in parallel to the motor, after the float switch, and set it to 12:00 once a month or so. 

Our bilge pump typically 'glurps' for about a minute a few times an hour due to stuffing box drips underway, and with the original cockpit draining into the bilge can go to a 50:50 duty cycle during a torrential downpour so I doubt one would ever normally clock up more than one hour a week on it.

A siren on a 5 minute time delay relay delaying its activation or on a high level float switch might be useful if you need to leave your boat unattended for months in a marina. If the bilge water hasn't cleared in 5 minutes you definitely have a problem!

I don't bother with any of these warning systems as I am confident in my hull integrity, keep all thru-hulls shut off when not aboard, and  the marina do a daily walk-round to spot vessels with problems so pump failure or loss of power (battery + float charger) *WILL* get spotted if she's down on her marks significantly.   I am considering building a fancy engine monitoring module and will probably add a 'Pump Hours' to that if I decide to go ahead. (One more input and a few lines of code!)