Topic: Furlers

I am going to cave and get a furling system - what would you recommend - the goal will be to have a system that will support cruising.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Re: Furlers

Ivan

I have a Harken Unit 1 MKIII Roller Furller... and I love it... no more going to the fore deck to dowse a sail... I like especially when I'm all alone... sure makes things easy.
Of course there are many other makes out there that would work as well

Thanks Jose - will just have to keep ondoing the research - though I am looking forward to getting one for next season - as usual very hard to believe that the season is almost over.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Ivan,

I have also been looking at changing to a furler, have been in contact with Ultrafurl in Toronto. Appealing to me, as they also recut sails for furler use. (as I have a newer Genoa, I am tempted to go this way)
The season has flown by and I have not ordered. If I do decide to order I will let you know how it works out. If have the instructions on installation, and it appears pretty straight forward. ( they also will install for you )

Jim

That Jim - that would be great - good luck.

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

ultrafurl is a great product - installs easily, is durable,  and can be serviced with minimal tools and without the need to drop the mast.

when i have the bucks i'll by an ultrafurl 300

Thanks guys  -sounds like I am going to do some research on ultafurl.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

The CDI furlers are also excellent value for money, and are proven on cruisers.

Thanks Adrian - will look this furler up.  Hope you had a chance to get out a go sailing this summer.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I didi get sailing albeit on my father's Hughes 38. A nice boat, but its certainly no Contessa 26 or Alberg 29. I really miss being a boat owner. I miss my Contessa smile

Hey anytime you might happen to be in Kingston, drop me a line, more than happy to take you out on Morava (really) - there is still this season and all of next year; -)

Cheers

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I might just take you up on that. I haven't been to Kingston in too long.

we could have a mini rendezvous cause i'm in gan till thanksgiving or until i get a roaring westerly to headback to iroquois

Hey a mini rendevous - I am up for that - I have a couple of sailing weekends left until she is hauled out during the week of October 15.  Place and a time anyone?

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

15 (edited by jimco48 2008-09-12 12:27:46)

I am looking forward to it - I had some insane notion that I needed to stay old school, but given the flukey winds in Lake Ontario, a furler is just the answer.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

17 (edited by cPaul 2008-11-22 19:09:39)

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

I installed a Harken furler and modified a 120% genoa for it.
I laid out about two grand for all. The system works great!
With jiffy reefing on the mainsail and a Autohelm autopilot, singlehanding is easy.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Would a Harken 436 with a 2000 lb safe load rating be right for our Contessas?  Also, how do you get your sails modified to fit?

I cannot believe how the time goes by - when I posted my orginal request regarding furlers it was the end of 2008 and already two sailing seasons have gone by and I still have not bought a furling system - though I have looked up the various types - so I think this Christmas I will buy myself a very nice gift - I will keep you posted.

cheers,

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

im thinking Ultra Furl will be a welcome addition for me next spring.... 

ON a side note - anyone going to Toronto boat show?

Hi Ivan:

When I bought my '74 Contessa 3 years ago it came with an Ultrafurl 300.  I have the original records which show that it was purchased in 1993.  It's still in great condition and works just fine.  I've put my 120 genoa on it although I know that the former owner routinely put the 150 on it.  The bonus is that its a Canadian company located in Toronto:  Ultrafurl/Raudaschl Sails

I got a Harken Mk IV furler put on my boat and I bought a new (to me) sail to go with it.  Works great!  Never a problem with it.  Suzeh

Thanks everyone for your suggestions - I will let you know what I end up doing - hopefully before another two seasons go by.

And Stefan_D I will be at the TO Boat show this year - not sure what date yet.

IR

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266