Topic: Instrument Through Hole Location

Hello folks

Just a quick question… I'm having some issues with my depth sounder… location doesn't seem to be the best… has anyone moved it to a different location and was it successful.

Thanks

Re: Instrument Through Hole Location

Where do you have it located?
Mine is under the starboard quarterberth.  It was the flattest part of the hull we could find, but it is angled just a bit so the depth readings are off slightly. This becomes more pronounced in deeper
water, but for shallow soundings it works just fine.
Had it installed last winter and it worked very well all season.

Re: Instrument Through Hole Location

I have a Raymarine ST50 through hull depth transducer fitted a short way aft from the start of the front of the keel under the port berth trotterbox. (I have a berth where most bots have the galley and the galley is by the companionway.)

I fitted it myself as the in-hull sounder a couple of feet aft under the starboard berth kept loosing the bottom in shallow or deep water.

To fit it straight, I glassed up a 1/4" thick tube of GRP over a former of the correct diameter (actually a spray can + several layers of waxed paper), cut a bigger hole right through the hull and filleted it with tape and chopped strand + layup resin putty. On the outside I built up a solid GRP streamlined fairing block with a horizontal bottom face.  The transducer is well bedded in Sikaflex, with a strand of whipping twine 'wormed' into the thread nearly all the way down as a 'bond-breaker' for if I ever need to get it out non-destructively.  It shoots straight down and never looses the bottom in less than 50m unless I am in the propwash of a tugboat or similar.