Re: Contessa Advice

i called the broker for the newburyport boat during my boat search.  the boat is packed in for the winter.  he also revealed that there is a springy crunch noise when you walk on the foredeck (see stefan's pictures for what you will likely find).  broker said not to worry though as it had always been like that.  the owner has daysailed the boat for the past couple years.

but hey, go check out the boat in person.  they sound like nice guys at the yard.  and if it is a bomb you can find out for yourself that just because a boat looks nice in internet pictures it can look and smell awful in reality.  actually, you should expect some smell and rot in the sub $6000 range! 

you should look at as many boats as possible before purchasing.  its a great reality for dreamers like me and you. fortunately i'm not inclined to impulse buying.

yachtworld is a great resource but has limitations for the budget sailor looking for a steal.  ask around about abandoned boats available for "yard bills".  which is what the owner owed/owes the yard.  you'll find some real beauties in this category! 

instead of yachtworld think craigslist.com and owner associations like this one.  maybe even ebay just to keep tabs.  good deals are advertised but be careful.

best of luck and be patient (not having enough money will definately help your patience!)

-cody

skippert:

if you're seriously going to look at the boat, bring a moisture meter and a friend or two who know boats real well.  they'll pick up on what you don't know, and what each other misses.

moisture in the decks:  this is what i got.  bring a moisture meter, and possibly even remove one thru deck fitting on either side to see the state of the coring.  if it's wet, see my pictures.  this is what you've got on your hands.  on the inside, check for tracers - water marks dripping down the chainplates.

the springiness and crunch in the foredeck is from delamination.  rather non-lamination, because the fiberglass decking was never properly bonded to the plywood coring.  i don't have any pictures of mine, but i'd say that it was only about 10-15% bonded (plywood to fiberglass) over the whole foredeck.  the boats always been like that, and always will unless you pull down the decking and rebond like me.  there's no sense in trying to fill with epoxy - you'd use probably 2 gallons and never get the thing to stick anyways.  my boat went to hawaii with decks like that, so..... 

as far as rot and mildew go, this isn't too bad.  the only wood in the boat is the bulkheads and cabinetry.  everything else is glass.  javex and scrubbrush.

the rig is probably original, so figure to replace at least the standing rigging.  sails?  who knows.  engine?  again - gotta go have a look. 

it's worth going to check out, even if it turns out to be a bomb, you've not wasted 2 hours of driving because you havae something to compare the next one too.  good luck...  cheers all

stef

Thanks to all! I'll keep everyone informed about my progress.
                       -Tom

SkipperT - I've checked out that contessa in Newburyport pretty thoroughly.  Send me an email off-list and I'l be happy to share my observations!

SkipperT, if you go see that boat, (and I am not sure the conditon, etc. who ever knows until you "do a Stefan" on it! ;-)  Anyways, act like you really don't want it and pretend you are grossed out by the smell (or whatever) and offer them $2,500 and go from there...'cause she'll still sail even if she has "crap for decks"...and even if there is delamination, and so what, who cares, you can always do a little bit at a time on her! 
Get the boat for a steal and whatever you do to her (or don't do) is a valuable experience.   And if you change your mind, someone else will snap the boat up from you, I guarantee you this one will be sold in another few months....(call it woman's intuition, ha ha!)
Good luck!!!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Hi-
  I am a teen looking into buying a Contessa 26. I would modify it for offshore sailing, and attempt to get solo offshore mileage in preperation for a Mini Transat and hopeful Vendee Globe race. (Vendee is just a dream; so is the Mini!) Any advice?
                            Thanks,
                               Skippa

32 (edited by KodiakGirl 2006-03-11 00:21:42)

Bill NH, You're Awesome!!!  Your take on Navigational issues is right on target!!  Is it the Navy or Coast Guard, or both? that still require their recruits to learn celestial navigation?  I read this somewhere - it seemed like a very good idea to me.  I love this forum, and am very grateful to be allowed to join. I grew up commercial fishing here on Kodiak with my family and now work for Fish & Game. (seems I can't get away from fish!)  I have wanted to learn to sail since I was very young- all the fishermen laughed at me for wanting a sailboat, until the fuel prices went up! I have a few friends on the island that have sailboats, but they motor more than sail! So I bought a 15' Montgomery at Sailing Inc. in Seward, shipped it over on the ferry, learned to rig it & sail it mostly by myself & with other Monty owner's advice via email(took me awhile to figure out what "reefing" means....having grown up commercial fishing this sounded like a bad idea... smile I highly reccomend a little 12-20 foot boat to learn to sail in- usually there are various makes & models for sale fairly cheaply and its a great way to sail around by yourself(us independant cusses....). I tied myself in with a short line, and had a blast, once I learned about tacking!  {=0  I then resold it to a Coast Gaurdsman in Juneau, and now am saving up for a Contessa 26, which from all I've read is the perfect cruising boat for me. I looked briefly at a Pacific Seacraft Flicka, but they are stocky, more expensive & generally have outboards (only diesel for me!). I like PacSeacraft double enders immensely, but again, the price is generally very high.  Enter the Contessa 26, slim, fast, light, affordable, roomy (for me) and has all the features I know I want. Never mind the only ones I've ever seen for sale are in Canada or England -the closest one is that Massachussettes boat! Thanks again for the wonderful web page, I hope to spend many more entertaining & educational hours here!  ><<^>>

Hello, Kodiak Girl!  I am a Homer girl..we are neighbors! Good luck with your venture...I was lucky to run into a Contessa here and after lots of research, decided it was the boat for me...haven't had her out of the boatyard yet, but looking forward to a great summer and will be down your way eventually. This has been a valuable site for me as I started from scratch with the whole process in October.
My boat has never been officially for sale, so you may expand your shopping by wandering around looking for ones and talk someone out of it, like I and all the previous owners did!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”

Kristen, Shannon, Thanks so much for the comeback!! I had no idea there were Contessa 26's on the West coast, let alone in Alaska! AND more gal sailors- wonderful to meet you, if only online for now! I definitely need to get off this island more...  I will be saving up for at least a year before I can afford buying a boat, but I could still go looking! I love to meet people, especially sailors, as they tend to travel a lot smile  I read both Tania Aebi's book Maiden Voyage (and several articles she wrote, online) as well as looked at BJ Caldwell's web page (can't recall it now- I dogpile searched it!) - both young people sailing in Contessa 26's around the world. I am not so young, and would be happy to sail to Hawaii, for my first big voyage! (It's warm!!) meantime, there's few places better to learn sailing than Kodiak Island, as it has many different wind, weather, tide and traffic conditions.  I like the full keel on the Contessa 26- it looks fairly deep, too. Is the headroom truly 4'11" in forepeak, to 5'1" just inside the doorway? I like the rounded, hobbit-like doorway, with slats. Thanks, Shannon for the bilge photos- great for a perspective! My main concern, besides keeping it clean, is losing tools down there & not being able to retrieve them- perhaps keep a strong magnet on board, or tools on a "leash"? I remember Tania Aebi writing about tools getting gobbled up by the "hungry bilge"!  Say, is that front hatch, on the bow, large enough to squeeze through? or is it just a window, for cross ventilation? I have so many questions! Thank you all in advance for any and all input -you are all so encouraging.  smile   Now, back to cutting fish heads open(Biologists use the earbones to age the fish) - Chow, everyone!

I use the earbones to decorate carved cedar spoons!!  I am 5'2 and have a bit of headroom with shoes on in the cabin..so must be more that 4'11 unless I shrunk!  Haven't tried to get through the hatch yet, though sure Shannon has!
  Maybe the boat seller is open to a payment plan or trade?  I have had good luck with that, cause I couldn't wait...when you are ready, you're ready..let no perceived limitation stand in the way..ok, it's Sunday and that is my sermon for the day!  K

I can wiggle through the front hatch of my 1984, so I imagine most people can fit through it. Granted I am not a giant, but I'm 5'9" and while I do find the headroom a little tight, its not unbearable.

38 (edited by KodiakGirl 2006-03-13 02:25:05)

Sounds like if I shed a few, I too could squeeze thru the bow hatch- I am 5'2" also, but currently am built rather like Bilbo(the Hobbit), lots of floatation anyways!  Thats great, the cabin is a little taller than I thought- but also with that rounded top, probably has a roomier feel. Another reason I like this boat above a Flicka- on that one the hatch slides and looks like a good chance for leaks if (when!)you get waves over it.  Do any of you have roller furling? It sounds like the cats meow- you wouldn't have to change jibs in bad weather- but does that include really knarly wx? can one crank the jib down tight enough & small enough to "handkerchief" size, or none showing at all? Is it really as great as it sounds? I saw a photo of a boat for sale on Yachtworld once, that had both a roller furling jib AND a roller furling main! The main sail rolled down into a special-made boom- however I only saw that once, while roller jibs seem more common. Not sure if thats due to performance or cost or both.  Also, is it true that the anchor chain on Co26 goes down through a hole in the bow to a locker, while under way? If so, is there like a rubber gasket to wrap around the chain so water doesn't pour into the locker in nasty weather? or is it called Duck tape and plastic safeway bags?  I also read somewhere that if you wanted to put Stainless steel steps on the mast (at current prices, one per year) you would have to put rubber pads between them & the aluminum mast, as the two metals don't mix well. Any truth to that?  The thought of being up there in a harness like a spider blown about in the wind gives me the cold shakes! Hey Kristen that sounds cool with the otoliths! -Some people here make earings out of them smile

Hey Dusty/Kodiak Girl;

Yup, I use the foredeck hatch all the time to crawl in and out of the boat.  It's very handy when you are doing stuff up at the bow!
Rollerfurling is handy for coastal sailing: easy in and out.  But for offshore, doesn't give the best sail shape, so I'd go hanks, personally.
Anchor chain: I have an anchor locker (all the 83 and newer ones have it)  Yes, the previous ones with hawsepipe were wet and dirty!

And no, you don't want to mix metals anywhere: the "less noble" one will get eaten away in no time!

You'd love a book on boat specific info like Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook (for coastal and offshore) and my favorite, his "Boatowners Mechanical and Electrical Manual"  The basics of everything you really need to know!  Well, for now anyways! ;-)
And I always ask questions too, and everyone is always so gracious...

40 (edited by SkipperT 2006-04-04 14:01:42)

I'm Back...... tongue