Topic: Amazing restoration of a Contessa 26

Re: Amazing restoration of a Contessa 26

Those are great sites, I actively followed the retoration of Equinox and he did a great job.  And I was even tempted to send Morava down there and get him to resore her but costs always get in the way.  And I keep on looking but can not findanyone In Ontario/Quebec who A) does the same sort of work and B) responds to my querys and 3)gives me a rough quote for costs.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

I wonder if Alan Nye's new boatworks would do anything on Contessas, or if they're strictly about restoring Albergs.

Actually, I did contact them - but I don't know how much Allan Nye is involved.  A person came up to Kingston to look at Morava, and I laid out all of my requirements but I could never really get a quote out of them after a series of calls.  So I left it at that. 

But a good suggestion, I might try a follow up again.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

Interesting, Ivan. Keep us posted. I am sure there's some interest in professional restoration around here.

If I get laid off, I'll take it on!

What kind of scope are you looking at - I hope to start Desourdy BoatWorks this spring/summer (there's a few people at Iroquois looking for work done, but there seems to be a serious shortage of people that will do decent, honest, reasonably priced quality work).  Everyone always asking who I got to fix xxxx or work on yyyy......

I'd love to do work like what Tim Lackey does, but:  don't have the shop space, don't have the capital to build a shop, just want to sail a bit before taking on another project, don't particularly like fiberglass dust!

Stefan, Tim Lackey didn't really have the shop space of capital when he first restored Glissando, either. One step at a time!

Will be more than happy to keep your posted if I ever get my act together.  Stefan, I agree that would be a great job to start - sometimes I have this insane idea of buying up all of the Contessa 26's currently on the market and restoring them in a large factory setting and then selling them. Though of course I don't have the money and I am sure the costs would be prohibitive nor would there be a market or any profit ; -(

For Morava I need to completely rewire her - new engine, new hatch, new forhatch, new portwholes and new paint job on the hull and deck - some things to just start with.

Adrian - also just wanted to say - a great job with the site and thanks again for keeping it up and running.

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

No thanks required Ivan. I've been making a lot of changes behind the scenes, hopefully I can reveal them soon - the site hasn't changed at all since I first took it over, and I think it's about time.

As for buying up all the Contessas, I keep wondering if there isn't a market for someone to start building an updated version, but I also know the boat market is not all that solid any more, and people like their big floating cottages. I do dream of a Contessa 26 build out of modern materials and techniques, but with a sliding companionway hatch.

After all the hours I spent on Untold Want, the only thing that I can say is it was worth it all.  It's not new, not entirely perfect (although most people that have a look say it is)  I know where my little 'mistakes' are or where I would do differently having the chance to do it again. Maybe on the next one.  After spending yesterday at the boat show checking out some of the floating mansions (who needs 2 flat screen tv's on a boat!  I don't even have 1 in my house!!) having a brew with my dad he decided again (and I agree) that a Contessa 26 was worth doing all the work on.

Seems also that the used boat market is stronger than last year, there's not nearly the selection available.  Guess anyone who has a good used boat is keeping it for now, it will be interesting to see what Canada's 'economic recovery' and spring/summer will bring....  Boatforsale is the thinnest I've seen it in a while....

Have a beer for me at the show!  Cheers

Wow, I just noticed the Equinox project at Tim's shop...Glissandro was amazing, and now this, what a great documentary of a total refit on a Co26...interesting it was a newer Co26, as many times they are in pretty good shape...from what I have found.

Stefan, you could easily start like this, as Tim says "one boat at a time"!

“You get a boat for only one reason, because you want one.  If you’re worried about being practical, forget boats.”