1 (edited by VE3OZM 2011-04-29 16:15:49)

Topic: Repowering ROLLMOPS

Two Seasons ago I repowered Rollmops with the new Yanmar 14hp two Cylinder Dieselengine - Freshwater cooled --
R&D Flexible Shaftcoupling - 7/8 Dia SS Shaft - PSS Shaft Seal - 12"Dia 12"Pitch Michigan Sailer Prop 12R12 -
Single Lever Side mounted Engine Controls -Spartan Seacock for Rawwater Inlet - Vetus Waterlock ,Muffler and Gooseneck.
Results:
During Idling - You hardly hear the Engine ,standing on the Dock - with very little Vibration.
Cruising Speed - 5.5 Knots @ 2200 Rpm
Hullspeed : 6.5 Knots @ 2600 Rpm
Full Throttle : 3400 Rpm with Ruddervibration and quite a Wake.
Dieselconsumption @ Cruisingspeed less than one liter.
I have 4 German type Steel Jerrycans of 20 ltr on Board which I fill up @ the Gasstation with premium Dieseloil
No permanent Tanks - No Water allways clean Diesel
I am quite happy with the Results except the Costs - Close to 12 Gran and I paid only 6 Gran for the Boat -Here we go hi hi
Greetings Klaus

Re: Repowering ROLLMOPS

Any trouble shoehorning the engine into the boat?

How do you find the 14hp overall? That's a significant increase over the 8hp I had in my Contessa - and I never found her underpowered.

Re: Repowering ROLLMOPS

Hello Adrian !
Yes it is a little bit tight but manageable. I had to make a cutout under the portberth to get at the startermotor. I carry a sparemotor. You cannot start the engine manually.I also installed a removeable bridgedeck over the engine to facilitade the tall exhaustelbow.
Three years ago we got caught in those August the first Thunderstorms of Longpoint while picking the boat up at Port Stanley.The boat came with a
9hp outboard. I could point the boat in any direction but could not make any progress. Definitely underpowered.
25 years ago we got caught with my Grampian 30 which had the 20hp volvo in that Tornado of Wilson which sank the Non Plus Ultra. I tried to head
out to sea but could not. She would be blown sideways regardless of powersetting because of the large topside. Overpowered.
50 years ago in the Baltic Sea I sailed a Vertue class wooden boat with the little one cylinder Volvo. Again I could point her in any direction but could not make any headway. Definitely underpowered.
The Contessa you can gun into strong winds and heavy seas without reaching hullspeed if you have enough TORQUE.
By the way I also lowered the new sterntube by a good inch and enlarged the  ruddercutout to give 2 inch clearance for the 12" prop.
Yanmar voids warranty if you sail with propshaft engaged. On a long sailing trip  I would change to a twoblade and lock the shaft with brakepads.
Hope the bloody weather changes. Regards Klaus