Topic: Re Power with a 1GM10 Yanmar - Prop Question

The Yanmar 1GM10 has been a pretty popular re power engine for the Contessa and many have made the installation. 
I am looking for specs on the Prop upgrade for the Contessa used by those of you with this engine.
Can any one give me info on the pitch, the diameter, number of blades etc so I can get the propeller I need. 
I am hopng to have the new engine and boat up and running in 6 weeks.  Thanks

Paul

Re: Re Power with a 1GM10 Yanmar - Prop Question

Paul,

I have repower this winter with a Yanmar 1GM10. The propeler is  11x10 RH, it's supose to be a Michigan but i'm not sure now because i did'nt the name on the prop.

Marc

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

I have a two blade prop. Not sure of the number. It's the largest that would go in the aperture.                 A friend's Contessa has a three blade prop. I am so much faster under sail than he is, I do a horizon job on him every time we race.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

I have an 12x10 two bladed Michigan wheel sailor with the 2.62 reduction gearbox.  works great, pushes her along around 5 kts in flat water.  helps under sail to line up the prop with the deadwood

I believe I have a  3-blade 12x13. Your prop supplier will have a program that inputs some basic data about your boat and engine and then spits out a prop recommendation.

I may have to re-power in a few years and I'm curious of the ball park cost for a new Yanmar 1GM10 and for having it professionally installed?

Thanks!

Sad truth is the Yanmar 1GM is no longer available except used. Beta, Yanni and perhaps some others are your options.

Varuna was repowered with a Beta 10 in 2008 and has 600 hrs time on her already.  Wonderful smooth engine that fit original engine bed after I welded up some new mounts.  I decided to try out an 11x10 plastic prop that shows no wear or corrosion after the 600hrs with no zinc.  She cruises at 5.2 knots at 2400rpm in calm water and does 6 knots at 3000.

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC