Topic: Sailing from Waterford NY to New York City

Hello,

I will be picking and sailing my first sailboat home to NYC, a Contessa 26 from Lake Ontario via the Erie canal. I'm trying to figure out how long I should it expect it take me to sail/motor from Waterford, NY to NYC? Waterford  is just north of Albany. Any input would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks!

Re: Sailing from Waterford NY to New York City

About 3 days of daylight travel give or take. Watch out for big barges heading up and down. They can't get out of your way. There's another Contessa in Croton but he may not be in for the season yet. You can overnight at no charge on a slip at the Philipse Manor Boat Club.  It will be to port as you head down the river a few miles south of Sing Sing, the federal prison in Ossining. PMBC is a little north of the lighthouse and the Tappan Zee Bridge. There's only one guest dock--the first one nearest the entrance. When are you planning to make the trip?

I figured it would take me 3-5 days. I plan on hitting the hudson near Waterford around July 1

Sorry to say that the guest slip at Philipse Manor has been rented out for the season. You may be able to anchor for the night near us. Or stop in at Peterson's across the river or a little further South at Piermont.