Topic: Mid-Ship Cleats

Good day!

I was thinking about installing cleats amidships on my Contessa.  The customary way is to use a chock on the rail and then a cleat inboard on the deck.  However, with the Contessa being so low in the water it seems to me that the line would never stay in the chock. 

Any thoughts on this?

The solution I am considering is to fit a teak block hard up against the toerail amidship.  Then remove a few inches at the end of the traveller track.  Two of the feet of the cleat will then sit where the traveller used to be and the other two feet will sit on the teak block and be through-bolted to the deck (I hope I have some long bolts!). 

Securing to a cleat in this position eliminates the need for the chocks and gives a clear lines of pull (that is, little chance of mooring lines fouling shrouds or lifeline stanchions.)  This solution also helps to keep an already narrow deck relatively clear of obstacles.

My concern is that, with the cleat mounted relatively high, I will be constantly fouling the jib sheets.

I am looking for feedback and to tread in the footsteps of those brave souls here whom have gone before me...

Thanks in advance.

Christopher

Re: Mid-Ship Cleats

Hello Christopher:

I have midships cleats on my '74 Contessa.  They are mounted on teak blocks just where the toe rail ends and the jib track begins.  They rise above the track by about 1 - 2".  I have never had any problem with them fouling the jib sheets.  I sail singe-handed, so I use them all the time when exiting and entering my slip.  Let me know if you want a photo.  I can get one to you later this week.

Carolyn

Christopher,

I am rebuilding my Contessa and i add the mid-ship cleats. I post 3 pictures of that. Don't worry for the bolts. Go to a welder shop and they will do it for you.

I'm near you if you want to see them.

Marc

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC

Thanks Carolyn!  I would love to see what you have done.

Marc -- bravo!  Beautiful work on the teak.  Thanks for the images.

Bravo indeed Marc

A question, in the close up shot the cleat is mounted on top of what? It appears to be a block made of fiberglass, a very clean setup. Can you describe this setup? My concerns would be around the load on the base that the cleat sits on. Is the cleat bolted thru the side deck?

Very nice work,

John

John,

I'm sorry for the delay, i was out for my vacations.

Yes, the support is fiberglass. I made a patern in wood, made a mold with it and i made two block of fiberglass, it was easy for me because i had all the stuff that i need for the job.

For the base:
In my case, i had to removed the balsa and i lay only layers of fiberglass at this area so the blocks have a good base and yes the cleats and the blocks are thru bolt and i used 3M 4200 too, liked i said a welder made the bolts for me.

Marc

Contessa 26 #158
Sun Wave
Montreal QC