Topic: Repower a Contessa with electric?

I am getting to that time where I need to repower/repair my Contessa 26. She has the original Bukh 8hp diesel and has compression issues.
I was wondering if there is anyone out there who has tried an electric motor.
Researching on the internet I read about people doing this in other boats, but no mention on this site. Any opinions?

Re: Repower a Contessa with electric?

I had a 30 pound thrust trolling motor on my ultra light 19 foot wooden sloop. Not enough power. One hour running wild exhaust one battery.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

Varuna has her original Bukh 8hp when I got her... it gave out one flat calm day out in the middle of Long Island Sound... zero compression due to a corroded head.  I replaced it with a 2cyl Beta 10.  Sweet!   There are electric drives out there, but good luck with finding a place to put the batteries unless you just want enough power to get in and out of the harbor.

I have pretty much decided to forget about the electric motor option (too many people advising against it).  I think I will just have my present engine overhauled this winter. Hopefully that will fix the compression issues and be cheaper that replacing the entire motor.

A friend of mine had good luck with a long, limber sculling oar.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!