Topic: Overheating engine & Diesel odor

I was concerned with the alarm indicating high temperature while running my Beta 13 hp.engine at slightly over 3000rpm. I read somewhere that diesel engines are designed to work hard and that simply idling in and out of harbor most of the time can in fact be harmful. I consulted with a very knowledgeble, experienced, and helpful attendant at Beta Marine NC as to what might be the cause. He suggested that I open the cylinder on the ''in'' side of the heat exchanger and look for any debri that might have made it past the hull and inline strainers. Sure enough it was half plugged with fine weed and bits of anode. This situation cannot be detected from the volume of water coming out the stern however the restriction prevents the cool water from doing its task.
I also had a lingering odor of diesel fuel even after scrubbing the bildge as best as I could and installing a solar ventilator. He assured me that I should have no odor of diesel and that the slightest leak would emit an odor. After a thorough inspection I opted to replace the whole Racor fuel filter...problem solved and I am a happy camper-sailor.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool