Topic: Another Prop Question

Its been a great year with the new engine,(1GM10)  new sails, electronics, and anything else mechanical and electrical you can replace in a boat.  Each voyage was a "shake down" this summer and next year the real cruising will start; I hope.

One of the last issues in terms of mechanics I need to deal with is the Perfect Prop???

Two blade or Three blade - any thoughts and or the perfect size and pitch for the Contessa and her new engine.

I appreciate all the assistance and comments so far by the readers...its nice to know there is such a pool of information and experience out there.

thanks and any new info on this topic is appreciated.
Paul

Re: Another Prop Question

I installed a two blade prop - the largest that would fit the aperture. I made the mistake of telling the prop shop my Contessa was a 7 knot boat. It later had to be repitched for a 6 knot boat.
The keel is wide enough aft to mostly hide the prop when the prop aligns itself in neutral under sail minimizing drag. Another Contessa in this area has a three blade prop. When we sail together, my boat is so much faster under sail, I do a horizon job on him in a hour.

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

3 (edited by Fessalo 2011-10-21 08:54:54)

Re: Another Prop Question

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool