Topic: Install transducer for Depth Sounder

Time for a new depth sounder. The old Datamarine 1980 original is toast and Datamarine is kaput as well.
Bought a new one and installing the meter in the bulkhead is done. Now I have an IN HULL transducer I need to install next to the old one on the inside bottom next to the keel (Starboard side).
The old transducer is glued to the floor inside. Anybody done one of these?
I read warnings about placing the transducer signal being distorted by prop wash if mounted on the wrong side. Or by bubbles in the glue used to fasten it to the hull. Or by being glued in and not level.
Any advice would be appreciated.
toots

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!

2 (edited by Fessalo 2011-10-21 03:30:20)

Re: Install transducer for Depth Sounder

Hi
Here's my 2 cents worth...I didn't do the installation on my boat but wasn't getting a reading when I put the boat in the water but did get one when heeling a bit. Former owner told me it worked fine except at times in really murky water. When I opened it I found out that it was missing mineral oil so that there was an air gap when the boat was level. i added mineral oil and it's been reading true since. To get a good reading it should be installed as close to center as possible because of the heeling. Mine is in the small compartment in the v-berth and works fine.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

Install it so that it points straight down, not flush with the hull and pointing off the the side.
Avoid voids in the glue joint. One method is to make a four sided box and glue it to the hull. Then fill the box with construction glue and stick in the transducer at the correct angle. Since you will end up with a widge of glue, the box holds in the glue in place and avoids gaps in the glue.

I thank you all for your help. I tried hooking the old transducer to the new meter and it works fine.
I am saving the new transducer in case the old one bites the dust.
toots

The cutworms are in the hollyhocks, again!