Topic: KEEL BOLTS

I have a 1975 Contessa; a Canadain production just prior to the lowered floor and the anchor locker upgrades.
Today after many new recent upgrades I had a survey and the person doing the survey could not find the Keel Bolts. 
Neither can I or my father a former Contessa owner.  Can anyone help me. 

Are they glassed in under the floor area where the batteries and some storage occours?  There is one molded battery box under the floor closer to the bilge and it is glassed in; under there perhaps?

thanks

Paul

Re: KEEL BOLTS

polmstead

The boat doesn't have keel bolts. Rather the keel is encapsulated into the hull, a design that is limited to full keel boats. IMHO a much better setup, no bolts to rust, keels can't fall off etc.

John

3 (edited by Ian Malcolm 2011-11-04 15:02:10)

A JJ Taylor boat of that age should have encapsulated cast Iron ballast like the original J Rogers boats.  As the ballast is INSIDE the hull moulding, there are NO KEEL BOLTS.

Later JJ Taylor transitioned to using Lead ballast.

Your surveyor should have spotted the keel was encapsulated at first walk-round.  If the boat wasn't in the water at the time you need a better surveyor. (Assuming that you didn't just need a survey for the insurance - if it was just a formality, demand a report that DOES NOT say 'keel bolts not inspected'!)

Time for a better surveyor....  I once watched an accredited surveyor try to measure the dia of standing rigging using a set of vernier calipers.  Using the ID jaws....  Couldn't figure out why the numbers weren't making sense....