1 (edited by KodiakGirl 2008-06-08 23:45:35)

Topic: Sheet to Tiller Steering System

Re: Sheet to Tiller Steering System

Hi all,
Neat article describing a simple sheet to tiller self-steering system in the August 2011(nu.221)issue of Wooden Boat magazine.

...)))) May the wind fill your sails and the sun shine in your face cool

5 (edited by Viragodeb 2011-11-29 19:10:23)

Recently scored a copy of "Self-Steering Without a Windvane" by Lee Woas.  Excellent practical manual for said topic  - well written with lots of good photos and illustrations - and a lot less technical than Letcher.   Best of all, it draws from many different sources (incl. Letcher, Guzzwell, Roth etc.) and combines the best of the techniques (most effective and least complicated).  Woas has used all the techniques he talks about so can make firsthand comments and observations.  If you want a copy, the bad news is it's been out of print for quite a while and is no longer available new.  The good news is there's a few used copies available on line, but you'll pay for it.   My copy was sold as "excellent condition" (good jacket, no writing or underlining in the text etc.) and it cost me $120.00 US.  Cheaper than a wind vane though!

I want my to boat steer herself but I don't want all the complicated rig of a vane hanging off the transom, nor do I want to take a hole saw to my hull to install one of the newer styles of vanes (I'm sorry but I just can't make myself do that!).