Topic: 2012 Toronto Boat Show

Hey all,

Anyone going to the boat show this year? I'll be there at some point, as I have two sons in the winter program with Toronto Brigantine.

It'd be great to meet up, shoot the breeze about our favourite boats, and talk about warmer days.

Re: 2012 Toronto Boat Show

I'll be there.

WagJag has a 2-for-1 coupon right now that is valid for January 16, 17 or 18th (mid-week only, sorry) so I will be there on one of those days.  I could be convinced to go a second time (wife permitting).

*crickets*

Genco Marine sent me two complimentary tickets to the boat show.  Thanks guys!

Looks like I'll be going once this weekend and then again on Monday, January 16th.  Do either of these times work for you?

Turned out I couldn't make it this past weekend. Hoping for next weekend. I'll keep you posted.

5 (edited by JordanH 2012-01-17 08:45:26)

I just returned from Day 2.

We spent 6 hours there on Sunday and went back again today - I could still use more but won't pay a third admission.  The massive crowd didn't materialize this year and the vendors were saying it has been a slow start.

I did speak to the North Sails rep and he was telling me an excited Contessa owner had just stopped in before me... Apparently whoever it is is planning to do the Lake Ontario 300?  Terrific!  I'd love to hear how that goes (or be involved) if they happen to be on this forum.

There's the usual selection of nice boats, fewer yacht club booths than I remember in the past, the usual retailers (Genco, West Marine, Fogh, Mason's, Binnacle and The Rigging Shoppppe), and lots of other vendors.  I didn't see any show-stopper deals but I did have to tear myself away from buying a Rocna anchor that was on sale.  And... I took a look at the Raymarine Tacktick system and... well... I now want one.  Wireless AND a remote handset - ooohhh, the toys.  Radio World almost got me to spend some money as well.  Best deal I found was the $20 Sperry flip-flops.  Both Lee Sails and North Sails reps told me that I'd save more money if I didn't buy at the show but waited for August instead... I have a feeling that was across the board.

The only thing I picked up from the boat budget list was a new Life Ring/Buoy - no fun toys.  After parking and admission... well... no cost savings at all.  Good thing I love looking at boats!  :-)

edit: fixed spelling mistake.

I guess the word has got out.

Fogh Marine has bought out Mason's, who is retiring after 34 years.
No changes expected; both stores wil continue under their own names.

cheers, Oliver Bertin

It's interesting. Doesn't sound like there's really any amazing deals at the boat show this year. Might be a function of the economy, but I bet it's more a function of the booth fees required at the boat show.

I am fascinated that Mason's has been bought by Fogh though. Pretty different target demographic, I would have thought. Hopefully nothing will change at either.

I'd love to know which of us is planning the Ontario 300 though. Come on, fess up!

I'll probably get down there on Saturday at some point. If I do, I'll stop by, Oliver.

And any of you who have teenage children in the 13-17 range should totally be checking out the Toronto Brigantine program. They have a booth down there. Both my sons have been in the program for a few years. One's a Chief Petty Officer, one's looking for a promotion to Petty Officer in the spring. It's an excellent program that really teaches the kids the value of hard work, independence and teamwork. I am an alumni of the program myself, and credit it with my love of sailing.

If you see CPO Lebar or Trainee Aidon Lebar there, tell them you know their dad from the Contessa site.

@Oliver, yes, the word is out.  I spoke to a couple employees at Mason's store about it.  The one said he was ok with it because nothing should change really and that they had been told that it would be business as usual.  A second employee was upset that I used the term "bought out" and corrected me that it was "sold".  I wasn't aware of the negative connotation of being "bought out"... so, sorry if I offended anyone there, I didn't mean it.  He, too, believes that Fogh services a different market so that nothing should change.

@Adrian, my thoughts exactly.  Fogh and Mason's are very different stores and I shop at both routinely... I'm curious to see how things will change.  When competition is bought out, it is rarely in favour of the consumer.

As for the LO300... yes, please do!  I'm working my way to my goals and have been thinking about doing the short-handed series next year and would love to attempt the LO300 at some point.  Technically, for us, it's not the 300nm course because our PHRF rating is too low;  They have a shortened course for us.  However, it would still be a challenge I may want to undertake.

It looks like I may be given another free ticket or two.  Depending on how that plays out, it looks like I get to go back for attempt #3!