Topic: Contessa 26 Outreach.

On this list, there were 370 hits on my proposal for getting together Contessa 26 owners to form an association. Obviously, there is some interest.

In addition to posting on this list I sent the following message to seventeen yacht clubs in theToronto area - from the Royal Hamilton to Whitby.

"As an owner of a Contessa 26, I am trying to get together a list of other Contessa 26 owners with a view to forming a loose association for cruising, meeting and exchanging information about our boats.
If there are any Contessa 26s, or Contessa 32s in your club I would appreciate owners names and contact information.
If your club’s regulations do not allow giving out such information would you please forward this message to the Contessa owners.
I can be reached by email at: jfflanders@me.com"

I received a number of replies, and added to the owners we already knew, we now have a list of eleven owners in the Toronto area within easy sailing distance of each other.
We would like to hear from more owners either directly or by word-of-mouth.

In the next week or so we would like to have a get together at a central location such as the National Yacht Club. Please let me know if you are interested.
jff 416 214 9547

Re: Contessa 26 Outreach.

Hi John,
You know I'm interested but I'm not sure if you've received any of my replies to your e-mails.  I know only some of them have got through to Oliver.  You may want to check your junk folder.  I'll send another with my contact info.

Have we decided on an initial date yet?

Cheers,
Jordan.

Hi Jordan,
There will be an open meeting at the National Yacht Club on Thursday June 21 at 7:00PM. All are welcome.
JFF

LAKE ONTARIO CONTESSA 26 ASSOCIATION (Working title)

A meeting was held last night - June 21, 2012 - at the National Yacht Club attended by: Paul Beaven; John Flanders; Lesley Flowerdew; George Gurr; Jordan Harkness; Bill Knox; Jaan and Tiina Timusk. Oliver Bertin and Russell Serglades sent their regrets.

After a round of sharing sailing experiences, discussion turned to the possible formation of a Contessa 26 Association.

There was consensus that such an organization should be formed. Suggested activities would include:

To sail in and tour members’ Contessa 26s.
To sail together with other Contessa 26s on cruises to other clubs and destinations.
To assemble a lot of Contessa 26s together in one place
To meet socially for meals and sharing sailing experiences.
To share technical knowhow.
To develop a means of sharing fast local information on technical matters.
To possibly develop an e-mail list to allow easy communication between members.
To continue to reach out to other Contessa 26 owners to increase membership

It was decided that our clubs would be approached as a possible site for a Contessa gathering sometime this summer.

Next meeting: 7:00PM, Thursday July 12, 2012  at the National Yacht Club.

June 21, 2012.
JFF

I am going to create a section of the forum specifically for this association, if that's cool with you guys?

Oh yes, please do.
John

Topic moved to the new forum specifically for the Lake Ontario Contessa 26 Association!

Hopefully we can grow it beyond just Lake Ontario.

Just a remeinder that our Contessa 26 Group is meeting at 7:00PM this Thursday July 12 in the Chart Room of the National Yacht Club.
Hope to see you there.
John

I'll be there at 7 pm Thursday. I'll tie my boat up to the NYC wall next to the clubhouse so people can inspect my boat and give me pertinent advice on how to make it even better!

Perhaps other Contessa owners can sail over for a lilttle get-together, followed by dinner upstairs and a lovely, peaceful sail home after dark.

Oliver

I'll see if I can make it down. I don't work very far from there, and I think my wife is going to be working late, so I might have an opportunity to attend smile

Adrian
It'll be good to meet you you in person...
Come a little early and we'll take you for a sail.
bertinol

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

"Lolly Jo" #230
C. Paul Carter
Montreal, QC

Unfortunately I will be unable to make it tonight, though I will try for the next one.

My wife is expecting a child very soon, so there is no shortage of things to get done before the baby arrives.

Also, I've fixed the problem some of you might have been experiencing with the site and subscriptions (the big orange error box showing up).

Hello Everyone,
Good to see you at the meeting last night.
Here are the details for the two Contessa 26 Association gatherings:

First gathering.
July 21 and 22 at the national Yacht Club. There will likely be slips available but if not, we have permission from the club to tie up along the wall and raft-up if necessary. Some of you might like to arrive on Friday evening.
The program is open for suggestions. We will likely eat meals together at the National's restaurant,  and generally discuss the finer points of our wonderful boats. We can also take a leisurely cruise around the Toronto Island on Saturday or Sunday whichever suits.
It would be helpful if  you could let me know if your will be attending with or without your boat, and what your preference is for the cruise around the Island. Those without their boats can crew on other boats.

Second gathering:
Tiina and Jaan have arranged for us to get together at the Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club on the weekend of September 8 and 9.
Again, the program is open to suggestions.

Looking forward to seeing you all there.

John

As usual, we should all keep a lookout for any Contessa 26s that have escaped our notice so far.

Count me in for next year. I have morava hull number 266 in kingston and will gladly make the trip to Toronto. Can't do this year as I am on the west coast for the summer. Have a great time

Ivan Ross "Morava" #266

There is -- or was -  a Contessa 26 for sale at the Toronto Sailing and Canoe Club in Toronto and one in the Dalhousie Yacht Club in St. Catharines. Both very cheap ($3k to $5k), sold as is.
No idea of the condition.....

Simon, I'd be happy to look over the boat with you.
I'm fairly new to boating as well, but I spent 3 years looking for a Contessa and have poked all over them recently so I will add the insight that I picked up over my journey.

I have some time on my hands so let me know.

Simon,
I would be happy to look over boats with you. I can also recommend a good surveyor.
John